cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

WinXP and WinME Can't Tunnel

pshelfo1
Level 1
Level 1

I am running a Cisco 3015 VPN concentrator (4.0.3) and connecting with 4.0.3A VPN clients. Everything is working perfectly with Win2K, WinNT and 98 clients. Even some WinXP Home clients are okay.

However there are a few XP Home clients in addition to a couple of WinME clients that will connect to the concentrator, are pingable from the internal network but they can't ping anything back.

VPN using a dial-up ISP works fine. Only when using a radio or DSL high speed connection does the systems occur. The other odd thing is that there are many people using the VPN right next to the ME or XP Home workstations that can't ping. They are using the same network, have the same VPN client config, use the same high speed dial-up but there OSes are different (mostly 2K Pro). I have tried so many things (virus scans, route tables, make sure XP has the firewall option disabled, etc) but no luck. We are running tunnel everything and have replace the default IPSEC over TCP with a higher port number. If you look at a similar lab setup the encrypts are increasing on the VPN client and the RX on the concentrator is increasing respectivily.

Help! Anyone have any ideas? It appears to be a XP Home/ME based routing issue.

5 Replies 5

sirpa_k
Level 1
Level 1

Got a similar problem, could you give an update on this. Thanks

Unfortunately I still have the issue. I have a Cisco TAC case open but the engineer has not contacted me back in about a week. Supposedly it is in research. Quite frustrating. I will post a solution if I ever get one. We are thinking of switching to Win2K Pro or XP Pro instead of wasting more time but I still want a solution. Sorry I can't be of more help yet. If you find any solution please let me know.

I also have a similiar issue with XP Home. Any resolution yet?

I added a new user to one machine and that fixed one case of the problem? It could be profile setting which was corrected when a new user profile was added.

I just realized that Cisco has a 4.0.3c version out. You might want to try that.

Any definitive resolution to this problem? I have similar issues with XP-home users