cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

XP VPN Client- Connected but Nothing else...

wraights
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to map drives through a VPN tunnel. I was able to do at another location but I am not able to do it at this new setup that I did.

I can create the VPN tunnel, and ping freely on the network, but I cannot map the drive. I am trying to map the drive by IP address, not by name (since broadcasting doesn't go across a VPN tunnel).

The machine that I am attempting to map to is running XP as well as the box that I am mapping FROM. They both have the same users setup with the passwords and all that. It is a PIX 501 running 6.1(1) and the VPN client is 3.1.

I am not able to go to start, run and enter \\IP address either. The error I always get when I try to map or do anything other than ping is:

"No network path found"

I cannot ping by name...(unless I stick that name in my local host file).

I don't *think* that I have to make any other configuration changes on the firewall.

One thing...I was using dial-up to test the VPN connection and when I did 'ipconfig \all' it said that the dialup connection had NetBios over TCP/IP disabled, so on that dialup connection I enabled File and Print Sharing and reconnected and it didn't show that it was disabled anymore, but I still wasn't able to do it.

I tried it over cable modem and it didn't work either.

Please help me out with this people!

3 Replies 3

tmellen
Level 1
Level 1

Is there a NIC on this as well? Have you tried the 3.5 unity client? I would also look into updating the LMHosts file on the client to point to the PDC, and the WINs server.

I haven't tried to 3.5 client. Why would that be any different? We don't have a WINs server at all on this site, so I can't do that.

Those are great tips...thanks!

Any other thoughts?

wraights
Level 1
Level 1

Okay here is the latest...

I tried the latest client (Cisco client 3.5) and I still cannot map a drive or telnet. I continue to be able to ping freely in the network but I can't do anything else. To reiterate, this site doesn't have a WINs server. I am doing everything by IP address...

I also tried an older client (on W2K) and it was also able to create a VPN connection where I can ping freely but I couldn't map drives and I continue to get the same error message of "No network path found".

***PLEASE HELP ME OUT***

Thanks for all the responses so far!