7200 + ISG Performance?

dgraham_73
Level 1
Level 1

New to ISG, looking at the following setup:

CISCO7204VXR

NPE-G2

+ ISG

I am looking at implementing RADIUS based policing.

My question is how many concurrent subscribers / policing 'rules' can this router handle?

Any direction is appreciated.

-dan

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dan,

7200 can support in theory up to 16K sessions.

However, since this router is a CPU-based platform, the performance/scalability degrades as you enable more features (e.g QoS, ISG).

So, in general, it's suggested to stay between 4-8K sessions per box.

I recommend to configure call admission control, to limit the number of concurrent incoming sessions to 30 per second.

call admission new-model

call admission limit 600

call admission cpu-limit 65

call admission pppoe 10 1

call admission pppoa 10 1

call admission vpdn 10 1

call admission ip 10 1

Please rate this post if helpful

Marco

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

mavespig
Level 3
Level 3

Hi Dan,

7200 can support in theory up to 16K sessions.

However, since this router is a CPU-based platform, the performance/scalability degrades as you enable more features (e.g QoS, ISG).

So, in general, it's suggested to stay between 4-8K sessions per box.

I recommend to configure call admission control, to limit the number of concurrent incoming sessions to 30 per second.

call admission new-model

call admission limit 600

call admission cpu-limit 65

call admission pppoe 10 1

call admission pppoa 10 1

call admission vpdn 10 1

call admission ip 10 1

Please rate this post if helpful

Marco

Thanks for the information!

-dan

I know this is a rather old post but I'm going to reply anyway. If I understand CAC correctly, the recommended settings you are suggesting for CAC will result in 60cps not 30cps. (total charge/charge per second or 600/10=60). So what is the recommended setting for NPE-G2 ? 60 or 30? and what would be the recommended setting for NPE-G1? I've had cases with TAC regarding the newer ASR1000 with RP1, and the recommended setting there is 60cps. Considering the RP1 is of a later generation and more powerful hardware, 60cps seems a bit much for an NPE-G2. Correct me if i'm wrong though. I've been unable to find recommended settings for an NPE-G1 and we are still using those, so I hope somebody can enlighten me with some numbers/recommended settings.

Thanks,

Kimaru