cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to rate-limit different IP's entering/leaving an Interface?

asaykao73
Level 1
Level 1

Hi There,

We are an ISP and have an interconnect with say Provider A. Customers of ours use Provider A for layer 2 and us for Layer 3 (IP/Internet).

Customer #1 to #100 --- (10Mb) --> Provider A ---> ISP ---> Internet

We'd like to rate limit some customers to 2mb/sec (in/out) on our end because at present they have a 10mb/sec connection coming from Provider A.

The config we use to peer with Provider A is this:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.120

description Interconnect with Provider A

bandwidth 400000

encapsulation dot1Q 120

ip address A.B.C.1 255.255.255.252

Customers of ours are simply routed out through this interface like so:

Customer #1:

ip route W.X.Y.Z. 255.255.255.255 A.B.C.2

Customer #2:

ip route J.K.L.M 255.255.255.255 A.B.C.2

Is there a way to rate limit both these customers without needing to create a separate class map for each like so:

class-map match-all CUSTOMER-1-2MB

match access-group name ACL-CUSTOMER-1

class-map match-all CUSTOMER-2-2MB

match access-group name ACL-CUSTOMER-2

!

policy-map POLICY-RATE-LIMIT

class CUSTOMER-1-2MB

police 2000000 375000 750000

class CUSTOMER-2-2MB

police 2000000 375000 750000

!

service-policy input POLICY-RATE-LIMIT

service-policy output POLICY-RATE-LIMIT

I've done this in the lab and I know it works, so Customer #1 ends up with 2mb/sec and Customer #2 gets 2mb/sec too.

But in production, I'm talking about 100's of customers which we simply route out of this interface. I can't imagine having to configure 100's of class maps and policy maps for each customer to rate limit them to 2mb/sec like in the config above.

Is there a better way to do this on the router???

Thanks.

Andy

18 Replies 18

Would the police statement be different if you have say 2mb download and 1mb upload

Yes you will need a separate service policy for the input and output on your interface.

Eg:

service-policy input MY-POLICY-1MB

service-policy output MY-POLICY-2MB

Cheers.

Andy

ISG has several options for doing this in an elegant fashion. See "Configuring ISG Policies for Regulating Network Access." Policing can be applied either per user, or per traffic class. Additionally it can be done via locally configured service-profile, aaa user profile or aaa service profile.

If you require some basic configuration for ISG (not easy to divine from the documentation), I can provide this.

Safar Safarov
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Andy,

did you find any better way how to do this? I have around 60 customers and it's really a pain to manage them in the way described (policy per customer).

Regards,

Safar.