cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QoS remarking to dscp 0

tmarlow
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to figure out why everytime that I see a policy-map configured, it doesn't take into account the routing protocols, why is that?

I want to remark all traffic coming into our network from our BGP upstreams to be dscp 0, but I'm afraid of messing up the BGP updates. Is this dealt with automatically or do you have to compensate for BGP in the QoS policy?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In the case as explained, remarking inbound BGP, along with all other packets, to be DSCP 0 shouldn't cause any issue with those BGP packets.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Travis,

it would be safer to deny BGP traffic an ACL like

access-list 111 deny tcp any any eq bgp

access-list 111 deny tcp any eq bgp any

access-list 111 permit ip any any

can be used to define what to remark to DSCP0

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

One possible reason, routing protocols tend to be locally sourced and often Cisco treats locally source traffic differently from transit traffic.

For example, when you write "I want to remark all traffic coming into our network from our BGP upstreams to be dscp 0 . . .", would this be the same device that accepts the BGP packets? If so, why would there be a need to remark them?

I want to remark all external traffic entering the network to be dscp 0. I do not want this to affect the bgp communications between the two routers though. This is the same device that is accepting the bgp packets from the upstream device.

In the case as explained, remarking inbound BGP, along with all other packets, to be DSCP 0 shouldn't cause any issue with those BGP packets.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: