Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Transfer Rate Upload/Download

Dear Freindzs,

I am looking a solution / answer for a querry related to FTP upload & download. However this querry is not directly related to Cisco, But reason for raising this problem in this forum is that i have searched a lot but did'nt find any convincing reply. If anyone of you can spend some time on this to reply. please...

1) We are a ISP at India. We are getting querry related to USA sites/FTP (Download & Upload) from our customers since couple of time.

Problem :-  Customers/We are not getting upload / download transfer rate more then 1.8 - 2Mbps even on high bandwidth at our customer backend. i.e DS3 or STM-1. in short in all cases/bandwidth the upload & download for USA sites/FTP are not reaching beyond 2 Mbps.

We have checked all our peering / routing all fine and infact tryed different-different combinations/routing but the response from abroad sites are still not more then 2 Mbps even with best possible combinations.

2) For Eg:- a customer having 4 Mbps(1:1) internet link from us. Hence the standard transfer rate should be 512KB/s(or close to this) while upload & download. But while downloading or upload to FTP servers. sometime we are getting Channelised response (transfer rate) in multiple sessions. i.e 256KB/s in one and 256KB/s in other, so total 512KB/s. question is what are the all possible reasons that why we are not getting the full or even close to full transfer rate in single session (512KB/s).

3) What are the factors which impacting the download / upload response except routing. How we can get know or investigate that particular FTP server having bandwidth contraints or having policy configured to limit the upload/download session..

4) If anyone have some good documents on FTP/ Upload or Download working with key points...kindly share

1 REPLY

Re: Transfer Rate Upload/Download

Dear Freindzs,

I am looking a solution / answer for a querry related to FTP upload & download. However this querry is not directly related to Cisco, But reason for raising this problem in this forum is that i have searched a lot but did'nt find any convincing reply. If anyone of you can spend some time on this to reply. please...

1) We are a ISP at India. We are getting querry related to USA sites/FTP (Download & Upload) from our customers since couple of time.

Problem :-  Customers/We are not getting upload / download transfer rate more then 1.8 - 2Mbps even on high bandwidth at our customer backend. i.e DS3 or STM-1. in short in all cases/bandwidth the upload & download for USA sites/FTP are not reaching beyond 2 Mbps.

We have checked all our peering / routing all fine and infact tryed different-different combinations/routing but the response from abroad sites are still not more then 2 Mbps even with best possible combinations.

2) For Eg:- a customer having 4 Mbps(1:1) internet link from us. Hence the standard transfer rate should be 512KB/s(or close to this) while upload & download. But while downloading or upload to FTP servers. sometime we are getting Channelised response (transfer rate) in multiple sessions. i.e 256KB/s in one and 256KB/s in other, so total 512KB/s. question is what are the all possible reasons that why we are not getting the full or even close to full transfer rate in single session (512KB/s).

3) What are the factors which impacting the download / upload response except routing. How we can get know or investigate that particular FTP server having bandwidth contraints or having policy configured to limit the upload/download session..

4) If anyone have some good documents on FTP/ Upload or Download working with key points...kindly share

Hi,

The answer depends on the operating systems on the hosts not on the routers check out the below link to detailed procedures on different o.s. :

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/

for example

http://www.psc.edu/networking/projects/tcptune/#WindowsXP

for Win XP

Hope to help

Ganesh.H

Views
Helpful
Replies