Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

VRF import routes

Good day.

I have a following situation:

- Cisco 7600/RSP720-3CXL(12.2(33)SRD4 software) as a border with 2 fullview uplinks and a bunch of peerings

- a customer, who generates large amount of egress traffic(~8Gb/s), half of which goes to uplink2, and half distributed among the peerings

Issue is, that uplink2 is a pricy one. Management wants that this customers' traffic was forwarded through the uplink1, rather that uplink2

And here's where fun begins. Policy routing is performed before the normal routing, and I only can specify "next-hop something" there(so we can make "from A to uplink1" config, but not "from A to ANY AND NOT uplink2" config). So if I use this - all customers' traffic flows through uplink1, and nothing goes to the peerings. Such situation is unacceptable.

I thought about the technique I use on Juniper routers - rib-groups.

I want to create a VRF, in which I'll copy all the routes from global RT except the uplink2. Then in the policy routing I can specify VRF for this cutomers traffic, where it'll be forwarded in "from A to ANY AND NOT uplink2" fashion.

Problem is I have no experience working with VRF on Cisco, and examples I find are only for from-VRF-to-VRF route import - I can't find how to do a from-global-to-VRF route import.

Questions are:

- am I not overthinking this? Maybe there's an easier solution to this issue?

- can someone provide me an example of how to perform this global-to-VRF route import?

Everyone's tags (3)
1 REPLY

VRF import routes

This may be of help to someone later. I found this link http://chetanress.blogspot.com/2010/08/importing-routes-from-global-table-into.html with instructions on global-to-VRF route export.
Example of config:

ip prefix-list chetan seq 10 permit x.x.x.x/x

ip prefix-list chetan seq 20 permit x.x.x.x/x

ip prefix-list chetane seq 30 permit x.x.x.x/x

!

ip vrf ckumar

rd 50:1

import ipv4 unicast map CHETAN_IMPORT

route-target export 50:1

route-target import 50:1

!

exit

!

route-map CHETAN_IMPORT permit 10

match ip address prefix-list chetan

I did not test it(used Juniper box for this task), but it seems to be the right solution.

Views
Helpful
Replies