cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1130 cannot get to controller

srosenthal
Level 4
Level 4

I have some 1130ag lwapp's that cannot reach the controller for some reason. They are located in a remote building connected via a ds3 circuit. The AP is getting a dhcp address via a scope built on a 3560 switch, here is the scope.

ip dhcp pool APScope

network 192.168.201.0 255.255.255.0

default-router 192.168.201.3

option 60 ascii "Cisco AP c1130"

option 43 hex f104.aa63.c736

When I debug dhcp events on the switch, I see the ap get an address, then I see it release, then reboot, then get another address. This just continues.

I am able to plug a pc into the port and get a valid ip address, then I am able to ping the WLC. So it appears the routing is working correctly.

I am running 4.2.176 on the controller. These Ap's are brand new never used anywhere else.

This is the config of the interface on the router as well.

interface GigabitEthernet2/0.301

encapsulation dot1Q 301

ip address 192.168.201.3 255.255.255.0

no ip redirects

ip load-sharing per-packet

arp timeout 1200

HELP! Thanx

21 Replies 21

Seth,

Just to verify, did you set the WLC management and ap-manager to vlan identifier to "0" and on the trunk port you have configured it to native vlan? If so, just for kicks, try to configure this on the router:

On the AP vlan:

ip helper-address

ip helper-address

Global configuration on the router:

ip forward-protocol udp 12222

ip forward-protocol udp 12223

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Just to update this, after working with the TAC and getting some sniffer traces, it appears to be a problem with the customer's SONET network. The AP sends a jumbo frame (1544) when it tries to contact the AP-manager interface. If the medium cannot handle the jumbo frame, it should send back to the AP and ICMP message and then the AP will drop the packet size down.

We never got any ICMP messages and when the packet gets to the WLC, it was chopped.

Telco is going to up the size of the MTU on the SONET tonight. I will keep all posted.

Seth

Problem fixed, but it was not the MTU size on the SONET. I talked with another TAC engineer this morning and he realized that the 3750 that the 4404 was connected to was using the default load-balancing method. He made the change to src-dst-ip and all the AP's started to register with the WLC.

Thank you everyone for your help.

Hello, I have the same problem, with a WLC4402 and LAP1131AG. Between them there are two 3750 with 8 links (L3) with automatic load-balancing. What could I do to solve the problem?

Regards.

What do you exactly mean 8 links (L3)? 8 links between the 3750's or 3750 to 3750 then 8 L3 links?

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The command is a global command and it is "port-channel load-balance src-dst-ip".

Seth

I have a similar issue with a 1131 and a NM-WLC.

I can get the discover response from the managment interface, but the WLC never sees the JOIN message.

I am over an ipsec vpn, so it may have something to do with MTU though...

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card