9 Replies 9

wynneit
Level 1
Level 1

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Michael,

Just to add a note to the great tips from Pete (+5 points here Pete)

Yes, the 1131 can be nicely upgraded to LWAPP. Even the much older 1121's can be upgraded;

Migration from autonomous access point mode to lightweight mode is possible on these Cisco Aironet access point platforms:

•All 1121 access points

•All 1130AG access points

•All 1240AG access points

•All 1250 series access points

•For all IOS-based 1200 series modular access point (1200/1220 Cisco IOS Software Upgrade, 1210 and 1230 AP) platforms, it depends on the radio:

-if 802.11G, MP21G and MP31G are supported

-if 802.11A, RM21A and RM22A are supported

The 1200 series access points can be upgraded with any combination of supported radios: G only, A only, or both G and A.

Note For an access point that contains dual radios, if one of the two radios is an LWAPP-supported radio, the upgrade tool still performs the upgrade. The tool adds a warning message to the detailed log that indicates which radio is unsupported.

•All 1310 AG access points

•Cisco C3201 Wireless Mobile Interface Card (WMIC)

Note The second-generation 802.11a radios contain two part numbers.

Access points must be running Cisco IOS Release 12.3(7)JA or later before you can perform the upgrade.

From this good doc;

Upgrading Autonomous Cisco Aironet Access Points to Lightweight Mode

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

bchoisser
Level 1
Level 1

I think the question was from LWAPP to autonomous.

I am trying to do the same thing.

Hi Barry,

Sorry about that, I guess I wasn't reading too well that day :)

Follow these steps to revert from LWAPP mode to autonomous mode by loading a Cisco IOS release using a TFTP server:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 The static IP address of the PC on which your TFTP server software runs should be between 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.30.

Step 2 Make sure that the PC contains the access point image file (such as c1200-k9w7-tar.122-15.JA.tar for a 1200 series access point) in the TFTP server folder and that the TFTP server is activated.

Step 3 On the PC where the TFTP server is located, perform these steps:

a. Disable any software firewall products, such as Windows firewall, ZoneAlarm firewall, McAffee firewall, or others.

b. Ensure all Windows files are visible. From Windows Explorer, click Tools > Folder Options > View > Show hidden files and folders.

Step 4 Rename the access point image file in the TFTP server folder to c1200-k9w7-tar.default for a 1200 series access point, c1130-k9w7-tar.default for an 1130 series access point, c1240-k9w7-tar.default for a 1240 series access point, and c1250-k9w7-tar.default for a 1250 series access point.

Step 5 Connect the PC to the access point using a Category 5 (CAT5) Ethernet cable.

Step 6 Disconnect power from the access point.

Step 7 Press and hold MODE while you reconnect power to the access point.

Step 8 Hold the MODE button until the status LED turns red (approximately 20 to 30 seconds) and then release.

Step 9 Wait until the access point reboots, as indicated by all LEDs turning green followed by the Status LED blinking green.

Step 10 After the access point reboots, reconfigure it using the GUI or the CLI.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp160918

Hope this helps!

Rob

I was able to do it this way. I deleted all the files in flash and was able to upload the new image easily using the below steps.

ap: set IP_ADDR 192.168.133.160

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 192.168.133.1

ap: tftp_init

ap: tar -xtract tftp://192.168.130.222/images/c350-k9w7-tar.122-13.JA1 flash:

ap: boot

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you fancy doing this using CLI try the following:

Requirements:

• Image file (such as cXXXX-k9w7-tar.1XX-15.JA.tar);

• AP is connected to the Wireless LAN Controller; and

• AP can ping the TFTP server where the image is located.

Procedures:

1. Find out what AP needs to be converted from LWAPP to Autonomous mode by entering the following command:

sh ap summary

2. Enter the following CLI command on the Wireless LAN Controller:

config ap tftp-downgrade

3. The AP will download the software and after a reboot, the AP will be on Autonomous mode.

This is a great way to get this done. It worked like a champ for me. Thank you. Very helpful.

Regards

Chuck

Which one did you use Chuck?

I used the CLI cmds from the controller.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: