Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1140 access points vs 1020s currently installed

I currently have (50) 1020 access points installed with (1) controller on my college campus. I am adding an additional (5) access points the 1140s and (2) controllers for n+1 redundancy.

The issue / questions I'm faced with.

I currently have a campus wide VLAN for all of the existing 1020 access points which only support a L2 deployment as far as I know. (controller and AP have a VLAN in common).

I have (3) core switches placed strategically throughout the campus to support specific buildings. I was hoping to eliminate all campus wide VLANs and move to a routed core.

I'm trying to figure out my options.

Do the 1140s support a L2 deployment?

Can the 1020s be upgraded to support a L3 deployment.

Does the controller software version 5 and beyond support a L2 deployment or just L3?

Thanks for your assistance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: 1140 access points vs 1020s currently installed

OK, first, lets get the definitions correct. In the controller world, the Transport Mode on the WLC is what is important. Layer 2 means, that all of the AP are on the VLAN the management interface belongs to. In Layer 3 Transport Mode, the AP can be on a different subnet than the management interface. To facilitate this, when you enable L3 mode and reboot, you will then have an AP manager interface, which is what the AP will talk.

Does this mean, that L3 Transport mode, you can't put the AP on the same subnet? Absolutely not, even in L3 mode, you can have the AP on the same subnet as the management and ap-manager interface.

That being said, ONLY the 1000 series AP support the controller being in Layer 2 mode. ALL AP support the controller being in Layer 3 mode.

So, the 1140 only supports L3 mode, and the 1020 will support both.

One problem you will have, is the 1140 is not supported in the controller code, until 5.2, and the 1000 series are only supported up to 4.2 code. So you wouldn't be able to have them on the same controller.

As to the routed network, that's not a problem, so long as the VLAN the AP is on can reach the VLAN the management and ap-manager are on, they will be able to work together.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
1 REPLY

Re: 1140 access points vs 1020s currently installed

OK, first, lets get the definitions correct. In the controller world, the Transport Mode on the WLC is what is important. Layer 2 means, that all of the AP are on the VLAN the management interface belongs to. In Layer 3 Transport Mode, the AP can be on a different subnet than the management interface. To facilitate this, when you enable L3 mode and reboot, you will then have an AP manager interface, which is what the AP will talk.

Does this mean, that L3 Transport mode, you can't put the AP on the same subnet? Absolutely not, even in L3 mode, you can have the AP on the same subnet as the management and ap-manager interface.

That being said, ONLY the 1000 series AP support the controller being in Layer 2 mode. ALL AP support the controller being in Layer 3 mode.

So, the 1140 only supports L3 mode, and the 1020 will support both.

One problem you will have, is the 1140 is not supported in the controller code, until 5.2, and the 1000 series are only supported up to 4.2 code. So you wouldn't be able to have them on the same controller.

As to the routed network, that's not a problem, so long as the VLAN the AP is on can reach the VLAN the management and ap-manager are on, they will be able to work together.

HTH,

Steve

HTH, Steve ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content