cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1200 series 802.11b to 802.11g upgrade for WPA2?

jgierchak
Level 1
Level 1

We currently have an Aironet 1200 running the most current IOS that we need to upgrade to use WPA2. From what I have read I need to upgrade the hardware to support WPA2 and AES. Has anyone had any experience with the upgrade? We also have some 1100 series APs that take the same hardware upgrade. Should we upgrade those also?

Thanks ahead of time for the suggestions.

John

4 Replies 4

scottmac
Level 10
Level 10

If you upgrade to the current "g" radio, you'll be enabled for AES/WPA2.

You can verify your hardware revs from the Web GUI, under Interfaces | Radio 802.11G | Detailed Status.

It should be something like "Radio AIR-MP31G" (or better) for WPA2.

Installation is not too much of a headache ... I always get a little nervous with those tiny antenna connectors on the radio board ... be very careful to align them properly before applying any pressure ... they're pretty easy to damage.

Good Luck

Scott

Scott,

Thanks for the good news. Going to go buy the upgrade kits now.

Thanks again,

John

Would an AIR-AP1220B-A-K9 upgraded with AIR-MP21G-A-K9 be able to support WPA2 (AES)?

Have upgraded our oldest AP1200 series (with IOS)with AIR-MP21G-E-K9 and now we can use WPA2.

Have 18 AIR-MP20b radiochips in a cardbox. Probably no use for them anymore, or?

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card