cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1252 and 1140 deployment in warehouse and office

sohocisco
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we currently have two 1252 APs in our warehouse. We mainly use it for our wireless phones but will have the occasional wireless laptops access. Two Vlans are already configured and working properly. However, we cannot obtain wireless signal in our office area.

Should we go with a 1140 standalone access point or be consistent using the 1252 AP? Our office area is not that large big. Mainly cubicles and a conference room.

10 Replies 10

paulpoon
Level 1
Level 1

I believe its up to you. We have multiple models running in our sites and they work fine.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Cost aside, the 1250 is geared up for use in a warehouse or theatre environment: wide open spaces and high above the ground/clients. One thing I like about the 1250 model is the capability for the user to choose from a variety of antennae options.

The 1140, like it's brother 1130, is geared up for office-like environment. Lots of walls, compactors, filing cabinet, corners and so forth. Nice thing about the 1140 is that it's very discreet and "low observable".

If you have money to burn, 1250 is choice. If you are, make sure that you deploy this model in a position where there's adequate support of it's weight.

One thing about the 1140, the standalone version is not out yet. Not sure when. Any idea?

Good point Daniel. I forgot to ask you if you have a WLC or not.

It sure is a good investment for your organization to invest in one, though. The 2112 (12 AP) or the 4402-25 (25 AP) would be something to consider.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Daniel,

From Fred Niehaus in a recent Cisco “Ask the Expert” event;

“Yes we have plans to release a version of Autonomous IOS (aIOS) code soon. We are targeting a beta in May with code release in June/July time frame.

I do know many partners like to use the IOS version for site surveys and smaller deployments so we are working hard to get this out quickly.”

http://forum.cisco.com/eforum/servlet/NetProf?page=netprof&forum=Wireless%20-%20Mobility&topic=General&topicID=.ee6e8b8&fromOutline=&CommCmd=MB%3Fcmd%3Ddisplay_location%26location%3D.2cd267d3

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hopefully they don't push it off again! Back to the subject, is your 1252 lwapp or IOS? Like the others suggest it is up to you. The only thing I worry about with the 1140's is the fact that it has to run on the 5.2 code. All my installs so far has been with the 4.1.185, 4.2.130 or 4.2.176... which to me is stable. Not so much luck with the 5.x code and not really going to jump on any new code either. So if it was up to me, if you are already running the 5.2... why not go for it and get the 1140's. If you are not runing 5.2 and maybe running 4.2, then stick with the 1252's.

Just my opinion....

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hi Scott,

I agree on you regarding the new codes. They sure broke alot of `em. So I'm waiting for the release of the 6.X firmware and see if they have fixed stuff.

Wow... you are bold! I just don't want to risk having a disappointed customer and then having to try to fall back to 4.2.... hahaha

-Scott

Hey Scott,

No choice. There were some basic functions in 4.X that were never ironed out. Had to result in the 5.X codes. Now the 5.X codes have broken some stuffs previously were not broken. :P

For example, currently using 5.2.178.0 firmware and would you believe that "Management Via Wireless" doesn't work on THIS firmware!!! TAC told me that the new up-and-coming 6.X firmware was ALSO broke.

I'm still waiting for them to verify if this is another one of those "undocumented feature" and also hope that they fix this "feature" before they release the code.

I hear ya.... I just haven't had many issues running 4.1.185 or the 4.2. I have had clients upgrade themselves to 5.x and has reverted back to 4.2. They should work on a stable code before trying to push out new code. They should also stop making new products that forces you to use unstable code.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: