cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

1552 Design Question...

Dennis Kline
Level 1
Level 1

Using autonomous APs, we often place an indoor AP behind a non-root bridge.  I want to do the same with a 1552, but there is some working in the design guide which causes me concern...

"It is not possible to connect a local, FlexConnect mode AP or a RAP behind MAP Ethernet port"

To be clear, my desired configuration would be as follows:

1)  5508 WLC running 7.4

2)  1552 RAP  ---->>>  1552 MAP

3)  Ethernet port of MAP feeds a small switch

4)  Switch ports feed indoor APs (3502) and one 1552 in "AP mode" (doesn't have L-O-S back to RAP)

We do this all the time with autonomous APs.  Will the 1552 support this configuration ?

It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber       

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)
1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So long as the AP behind the 1552 MAP connectedt to the switchare aIOS, that should work just fine.

The limitation has to do with CAPWAP in CAPWAP termination.

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

So long as the AP behind the 1552 MAP connectedt to the switchare aIOS, that should work just fine.

The limitation has to do with CAPWAP in CAPWAP termination.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Shaoqin Li
Level 3
Level 3

I don't think Capwap in capwap is officially supported

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

It's not, that's why you can't put a WLC based AP behind the MAP.

HTH,
Steve

HTH,
Steve

Thanks guys... that's unfortunante.  I guess we will have to use autonomous APs after the MAP/switch, which is not what the clients want.... they wanted everything to come off the WLC...maybe future releases...

It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber

.....dennis.kline@yahoo.com...(It takes an Act of God to fade a wireless path, but any fool with a backhoe can cut fiber)

Well actually you can do this .. So long as the MESH ap termintaes to controller (A) and the local ap terminates to controller (B) this will work. You just cant terminate BOTH to the same WLC, its like CAPWAP inside CAPWAP.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Where in in the great state of Texas are you from ?

‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

I work in downtown Dallas .... at the electric company

George Stefanick wrote:

Well actually you can do this .. So long as the MESH ap termintaes to controller (A) and the local ap terminates to controller (B) this will work. You just cant terminate BOTH to the same WLC, its like CAPWAP inside CAPWAP.

Interesting.  I will have to test this.. that may be a very workable solution 

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card