Views
Helpful
Replies

1552E Access Point ftp, tftp, scp...

servisturk
Level 1
Level 1

here is the new issue and question.

tftp, ftp, scp server ping to 1552e ap and 1552e ping to server. when i try telnet to 21 over 1552e i m getting timeout. i m connecting to any other pc, laptop etc. to 21 port. please help me what s happening going on... i need to convert to aps to autonomous. after 3 days i have nothin!!!!!!

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can't directly FTP, tftp or scp to an access point. If you need to upload an image to the AP, then you need to have that unit on the network wires and you have to be able to cli or console in to unit. Once you have achieved this, you can then use the archive download command to download files to the access point.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

hi again, i connected via console with putty. u can see the ping to server and u can see the error. thanks.

Ping just shows you have connectivity via ping.... You now much check you tftp to make sure the file is in the correct directory and that your firewall is turned off on your PC. Also make sure tftp is not being blocked by any acl or FW if your doing this through the network.

-Scott

Scott, any firewall, av or acl not working on my network. just me and freak 1552e. all the port open and listening on the server. i m downloading image with my other notebook over tftp or ftp. i can send the screenshot if would u like. also telnet connecting to ftp server but when i tryin telnet to 21 port over 1552e same error : timeout. it s not about the firewall, network or other things. 1552e has a problem and i used 4 1552e, all of the has same error.

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Like I mentioned, converting these are tricky any it would of been best to of purchased these as autonomous. Others have had issues if you searched the forum and others had better luck converting using a WLC. So my suggestion to you is to open a TAC case and just have them tell you if its possible or not, especially if you don't have a WLC.

-Scott

From another post, the only way he was able to convert was to have the 1552 join a wlc and then convert the ap through the WLC.

https://supportforums.cisco.com/message/3943175#3943175

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

thanks Scott, Cisco is Cisco, one model mode button one model tftp one model ftp, one model wlc (: u don t imagine what s next. cisco @ wonderland. they are making all models when they high, stone high....

It the same with other vendors also. Various models work with various code, etc. it's just the way it is and you just have to follow it and see what works and doesn't. The 1550's as autonomous really was meant for site survey because you loose a lot of functionality when not using a WLC. That 1552 will be the same as if you used a 1252 or 1262 in autonomous.

-Scott

The only way to do this, other than through a WLC and as far as I know, is through ROMMON. This came directly from TAC.

EXAMPLE:

Autonomous image used: c1520-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar

Give your laptop a static IP (example below uses 10.1.1.2 /24)

Connect laptop directly to 1552 and have your TFTP server running

When the 1552 starts to boot, hit the escape key (not break).  This will bring you to an " ap: " prompt. 

Then do the following:

ap: format flash:    (this takes about 4-5 minutes)

ap: set IP_ADDR 10.1.1.1    (this is the ip your giving the 1552)

ap: set NETMASK 255.255.255.0 

ap: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.1.1.2    (REQUIRED, this was my laptops static ip)

ap: tftp_init

ap: ether_init

ap: tar -xtract tftp://10.1.1.2/c1520-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar flash:    (this takes about 5 minutes)

aP: set BOOT flash:/c1520-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar/c1520-k9w7-tar.152-2.JB.tar

ap: boot

Abhishek Abhishek
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

In Wireless LAN Controller release 5.0 and later, the controller supports the use of Telnet or Secure Shell (SSH) protocols to troubleshoot lightweight access points. You can use these protocols in order to make debugging easier, especially when the access point is unable to connect to the controller. You can configure Telnet and SSH support only through the controller CLI.

In order to enable Telnet or SSH connectivity on an access point, use the config ap {telnet | ssh} command. The Cisco lightweight access point associates with this Cisco Wireless LAN controller for all network operation and in the event of a hardware reset.

config ap {telnet | ssh} {enable | disable} Cisco_AP
Examples

> config ap telnet enable cisco_ap1
> config ap telnet disable cisco_ap1
> config ap ssh enable cisco_ap2
> config ap ssh disable cisco_ap2

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card