cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 anchors set up for guest - 2nd anchor never gets traffic

brian.kachel
Level 4
Level 4

Has anyone successfully set up multiple anchors for guest access for resilience?

I have my 2 anchor controllers in the DMZ, and on my local controller I set up both as the anchor point for the guest wlan.

Only the first anchor gets traffic - the 2nd never gets clients.

My understanding from the documentation was that it would alternate between the 2 controllers so both should be getting clients ?

7 Replies 7

brian.kachel
Level 4
Level 4

Has anybody successfully set up 2 anchors for a single Guest WLAN?

(the intention is for load balancing / resilience on the guest wlan)

I have installed multiple guest anchors in different DMZ with no issues. One thing is to verify that your control and data paths are up and all controllers are either configured for asymmetric or symmetric tunneling. If you are using secure port, make sure all wlc are using that too.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Hello,

Is there any way to push for an active backup config on the anchor scenario? Or will they ALWAYS do load balancing?

How will that LB be based? per client? per foreign controller?

Thanks

Gustavo

Currently you can't configure which you want traffic to go through. Maybe in the future code this will be allowed. Load balancing is determinedfrom the information from the mobility group information. All WLC in a mobility group will know of the load and number of clients. This is how the foreign wlc determines which anchor controller to use.

-Scott

Hi, thanks for your prompt answer.

So if I understood correctly... there's no way of predicting to which anchor controller will any client break out to...

I've seen your comments on the forums and you do seem to have quite a long experience with these type of solutions... Have you handled any disaster recovery design solution? Where you'd have anchor controllers both at main site and at backup site, with no L2 link between them?

The single site approach is trivial, but multisite becomes a bit tricky.

Thanks

your understanding is correct, gustavo.

Most of the time, my clients would have two data centers in which one would go in each. Two data centers is almost required in a disater recovery senerio. if you have both guest anchors in the same building, then you are only providing redundancy if one box fails. No layer two link between them all layer three. Take a look at how you have your WLC's in a disater recovery setup... you probably have one at the main site and at the backup site correct?

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: