cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2 AP's 30 Clients = poor performance

tpelley
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking for advice on how I might optimize performance for the clients in a wireless lab that I have at one of the schools I look after.

The classroom is question is located between 2 antonymous 1131AG access points and is not more than 50 feet from either of the two AP's so signal strength etc. is not an issue. The AP's have been set to use channel 1 and channel 11 respectively and to allow a maximum umber of 15 associations per access point.

with a client load of say 15, everything works great but with a full classroom of 28 kids, I start seeing errors where packets reach max retries and therefore the client disassociates. Needless to say, this is frustrating for the teacher.

I understand that having this many wireless clients all within one room is pushing the limits of the technology, but I wonder if the is anything I can do to improve things. I have attached the config from one of the Access Points for reference. Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks.

3 Replies 3

talmadari
Level 1
Level 1

1. try to decrease the power level

2. choose best throughput under the interface settings->data rates

3. configure short preamble

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ideal client to AP ratio is 12:1. Once you go above this and you'll see slow latency and dropouts.

You may also want to consider putting a 3 AP too.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ideal client to AP ratio is 12:1. Once you go above this and you'll see slow latency and dropouts.

You may also want to consider putting a 3 AP too.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card