Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2106 wireless controller - mgmt ports stop working after reset

After I reset the controller to factory defaults and go through the CLI config wizard, the mgmt ports (no matter which one i assign) do not work. I can not ge to the GUI after if i do a config network webmode enable. I can see the IP address through the router, but can not even ping it. Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

Are you bychance tagging the vlan for the management port? If so, set vlan 0 for the mgmt port and see if you can connect to it now (assuming you are plugged into a tagged access port, or are setting the native vlan on the switchport to the controller to be that vlan you want the controller in).

If you have it set for vlan 0, and you plug directly into that port and assign an IP address static in the mgmt subnet, can you talk to it that way?

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

weterry
Level 4
Level 4

Are you bychance tagging the vlan for the management port? If so, set vlan 0 for the mgmt port and see if you can connect to it now (assuming you are plugged into a tagged access port, or are setting the native vlan on the switchport to the controller to be that vlan you want the controller in).

If you have it set for vlan 0, and you plug directly into that port and assign an IP address static in the mgmt subnet, can you talk to it that way?

I just set the vlan to 0 (untagged) and configured port 1 for management, set an IP and i can ping it beautifully through cmd.

I then reset it, set the vlan to 5 and configured port 5 for management and can not ping it.

I guess for what we are using it, we don't necessarily need to have a tagged vlan, but if I did need it, what would I have to do to make that work?

Thanks for the fix, we can now move on to the next step.....

Setting the vlan as 0 will "untag" that interface.

If you set your switch as "access vlan 5" or "native vlan 5", then the switch is sending VLAN 5 traffic untagged.

So, if you want the MGMT to be tagged as vlan 5, then you need to have your trunk port configured with something other than 5 as the native. The traffic will still be in vlan 5 when set to 0, but it is the switch that then tags this traffic across your network.

If you are not trunking vlans, you don't need to define a vlan, and 0 will work great.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card