Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2106 WLC replacement

Hi everybody,

thanks for a super forum!

I just had a 2106 WLC die on me, there is a backup controller so everything is still running. BUT i have a replacement unit here on my desk.

Dead WLC

Software version: 4.0.206.0

Replacement WLC:

Software version: 4.1.185.0

The APs are set up with primary / secondary controllers, and there might be a default mobility group. The plan is to use the replacement WLC as the new secondary WLC. And this is where my insight is a bit vague...

I read somewhere that mobility groups could consist of misc. platforms and i assume versions...

So what happens if the primary (running the older firmware) dies and all APs register with their secondary (running a newer firmware)? Will they then start upgrading and be offline for the time that takes. And will they downgrade again once the primary comes back online?

Cheers

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

2106 WLC replacement

If your using WLC's in a redundant fashion, then you need to have all the WLC's on the same code versions.  Yes the ap's will upgrade and downgrade each time it joins the other WLC and that is why code versions need to be consistent.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
VIP Purple

Re: 2106 WLC replacement

If you choose upgrade option, then you have to do this it in following manner (see table 1 of the below release note) as a step by step upgrade.(assuming you go for 7.0MR1 which is 7.0.116.0)

4.1.185.0 ->4.2.176.0 ->4.2.209.0 -> 7.0.116.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_116_0.html

Safer approach would be restore the config to the new 2106 (if you already have a backup of the dead wlc config) while it is on the software code 4.1.185.0. Then upgrade the controller (offline) to 7.0.116.0 & bring it online.

If that is the primary WLC, then your AP should register for that controller. Once all APs register to that controller you can upgrade the 2nd WLC to the  same image following the same process.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

7 REPLIES

2106 WLC replacement

If your using WLC's in a redundant fashion, then you need to have all the WLC's on the same code versions.  Yes the ap's will upgrade and downgrade each time it joins the other WLC and that is why code versions need to be consistent.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

Hey Scott!

Thanks for all your help guys.

I'll give you the correct answer check mark because you answered the actual question. But i would like to keep it alive at bit longer because, like rasikanayanajith suggested i did consider the upgrade option.

So I haven't really been avoiding the upgrade, just considering my options. One of them being to upgrade the replacement wlc to a much newer version and letting the APs upgrade after a failover. My thought was to then upgrade the running wlc to the same version. Is that a posibility?

Cheers

VIP Purple

If you choose upgrade option, then you have to do this it in following manner (see table 1 of the below release note) as a step by step upgrade.(assuming you go for 7.0MR1 which is 7.0.116.0)

4.1.185.0 ->4.2.176.0 ->4.2.209.0 -> 7.0.116.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn7_0_116_0.html

Safer approach would be restore the config to the new 2106 (if you already have a backup of the dead wlc config) while it is on the software code 4.1.185.0. Then upgrade the controller (offline) to 7.0.116.0 & bring it online.

If that is the primary WLC, then your AP should register for that controller. Once all APs register to that controller you can upgrade the 2nd WLC to the  same image following the same process.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Hi Rasika,

thanks Yeah thats what i'll end up doing. Except i'll settle with the 4.1.185.0 version because the system is being phased out soon. And i just backed up the running wlc config and rolled it onto the replacement wlc of the newer version. And it looks ok. So i'll simply remove the running wlc and install the replacement controller in its stead. Then i can work on the upgrade without any problems.

Thanks for your help guys!

Just remember that your access points will have to upload the new image from the WLC and then reboot. Shouldn't be a bug deal. I remember working on the 4.x code and I thought that was one of the most stable versions out there:)

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

Hey Scott,

thats really good to know... I've been holding it off for a while exactly because of the oldness in this setup hehe. Worried that i might get stuck in front of the unit for an entire weekend or something.

Noted, let the APs rejoin after having upgraded properly before continuing!

Thanks

VIP Purple

Is there any reason why you stay in 4.x.x version which is too old & unsupported. This is a good opportunity to go for 7.0.x which is the last version of software code  this controller would support & have many enchanced features compare to 4.x.

Check this software compatibility matrix & see whether you can go for 7.x

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Yes, your two controllers should have same image to avoid upgrade/downgrade process while AP fail over happen.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content