cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

22Mbps Availability

kdeighton
Level 1
Level 1

Since prior to Aironet has been purchased by Cisco,there has been talk of 22M radio product. Does anyone know when and if this will be a released product?

4 Replies 4

wdrootz
Level 4
Level 4

The new 100 milliwatt 350 series is out now which gives an increased range but I don’t think it increases bandwidth. I haven’t heard about a 22Mbps line but I heard 100Mbps was on its way. Anyone else know anything about this?

Cisco bought an Australian company called Radiata who already have a 54Mbps product that is to be rolled into the Aironet line some time this year I believe.

jwalsh88
Level 1
Level 1

No the increased power does not change bandwidth, you are correct there. Bandwidth is simply decided on by a modulation scheme. It doesn't matter how strong the signal is you will get exactly the same bandwidth. As signals weaken you may drop packets which will cause a performance drop. The 22Mbps standard is called 802.11g. It is using the similar technology to the 802.11b, which means it will act the same just go faster. The 54Mbps(802.11a) Radiata stuff is different technology, it is no longer in the 2.4GHz range it is in the 5GHz range and is not spread spectrum technology. The only real differences you will see is that it is much faster but that the signals don't travel well. In fact, you will be lucky if you can get a signal more then 80 feet away or through more then one wall. For example, if you needed wireless in a new hospital, with the 802.11b or 802.11g you might need five Access Points per floor, with 802.11a you will probably need 25 to 30 APs. That translates to about one in every other room. One last thing, I am sure Cisco will have a 22Mbps 802.11g product. Why? Because it is an existing technology that just needs a few standards decided on by IEEE. This stuff is all made by the same couple of chipmakers and they already have working products. As soon as its a standard then I am sure you will see Cisco as well as everybody else in the world selling it.

Heard that 22mb 802.11b is gonna be drop. Anyone got any news on this?

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card