Views
Helpful
Replies

2602 AP and cisco 3850

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

i would like to know if i could use the cisco 3850 as a pass through to register with cisco 5508 (flex connect) at our main site. at the moment i can see the AP registering to cisco 3850 and not 5508. if i plug in the ap to a cisco 2960 will connect to 5508 ?

also which mode should it be if the above is possbile (Moblity controller mode or Mobility agent mode)

Thanks

5 Replies 5

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

any thoughts please?

Hi

Here is the deal

1. If you want to use 3850 as WLC (MA or MC) then you cannot register any AP connect to that switch to any other controller (like 5508 in this instance)

2. If you do not want to use 3850 as WLC, then you can disable that function (no wireless management interface vlan x) & then it will act as a layer 2 switch. So you can point AP to 5508 like normal scenario.

So what do you want to do, accordingly I can advice

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ***

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Raskia,

Thanks for your reply. so if i go for option 1 can i still use mobility tunnel and mobility anchor feature. I need to for form a mobility tunnel to 5508 on the inside network and another tunnel to 4400 controller in the dmz (i know it has problems with tunnel to 4404 controller due to ios problems but if i can do to 5508 it will be fine)

its a shame if i cant do the above i will have to remove the wireless feature and use it as l2 switch. when i do no wireless management inter x then does it remove the router (l3) bit of the router?

Thanks

Hi,

1. Yes, in option 1, you can have DMZ controller (5508/5760) to terminate guest traffic. You cannot have 4400 as it does not support CAPWAP inter-controller communication (or new mobility)

2. You do not loose L3 switch capability of the switch even if you disable wireless lan capability of the switch using that command. You simply won't able to terminate CAPWAP on the switch, that's all. All other L2/L3 feature will be there.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Network Pro
Level 1
Level 1

ok let me make a plan. can you please guide me how to connect 5508 and 3850 as wireless anchror groups - (between two 5508, you just put in mac address isnt it ? and create wifi ssid and anchor - is htis same way for 3850?)

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: