Views
Helpful
Replies

2x WLC4404 after Upgrade some APs can only ping one WLC

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

i have 2x WLC4404 they are in the same mobilitygroup and worked since a long time.

Three days ago, ill upgraded one of them from 6.0.199.4 to 6.0.202.0. I have nearly 90 APs (1231,1242, different models)

The upgrade was successfull and i moved the APs from WLCA (6.0.199.4) to WLCB (6.0.202.0) almost all APs worked fine without 6 of them.

This 6 APs cannot ping the AP-Manager-Interface from WLCB. But they can Ping the Router in this vlan, WLCA-AP-Manager and all APs in this subnet. They only cant get to the AP-Manager-interface from WLCB. Ping to Managementinterface of WLCB is also ok.

Management and AP Manager are in different subnets.

All APs and the AP-Manager-Interfaces from WLCA+WLCB are in the same subnet.

Switchportconfig and routing are ok. ive resetet the APs to default, checked switchport config, resetet switchport, power down ap for a while. ive tried many things, but nothing worked.

I ever only can ping AP-Manager from WLCA, but not WLCB (again same subnet, and about 80 other APs work fine)

If i install a new AP on the same switchport, it works fine, without any issues.

-> when i than unplug the "newAP" from this switchport and again connect the "oldAP" it can ping WLCA+WLCB and anything is fine.

Now i have the next and bigger problem nearly 15 of the APs that worked fine after upgrading, for now 3days+. Now they cannot ping the WLCB-AP-Manager-int too.

And they dont failover to the WLCA with (6.0.199.4), i can reboot but they ever try to connect to WLCB. But they know both controllers.

I only can get them to WLCA via ssh: capwap ap primary-base WLCAsname WLCAsmanagementIP

Can someone tell me why the APs dont fail over if they dont reach WLCBsAP-Managerinterface?

And has someone an idea why i cannot ping WLCBs AP-Mana-Int from some APs.

Thanks in advance.

as attachement: log from ap + cfg from one ap

||| Please rate helpful posts. Thanks! |||
7 Replies 7

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The management and ap managers should be in the same subnet for one and this might be the reason you are seeing issues now... Since the AP's have to reboot.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Thanks for your really fast reply, but that answer dont helps alot.

This configuration work since years. managment vlanA / apmanager vlanB

And it works without issues for WLCA and for about 80 APs with WLCB. I dont think that this is the problem.

Why the APs have to reboot? sry dont get it.

Well... Initially the ap needs to communicate with the management interface and when it joins it communicates with the ap manager. It is best practice to have them on the same subnet. So it has worked for a while... Well it might of been fine with the older code. I understand that it was configured like that for a while, but did failover work if you took down one of the wlc? You also can only ping the management ip of the wlc not the others.

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

Hey again, i dont want to took one wlc down at the moment, because its an 24/7 productionnetwork.

I knew in older code you can only ping managmentIP but since a while you can also ping the apmanagerinterface. And i can ping it with about 70 APs to both controllers and with only 15 of them to only one controller (v199.4).

Should the APs move between wlcs in a mobilitygroup with different codeversions?

Thanks in advance

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

It depends on the version of code, but what you have should work. The only problem is that the AP will have to upgrade or downgrade every time it moves.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6366/products_qanda_item09186a00809ba482.shtml#Q-Aug08

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott

Tony Rosolek
Level 1
Level 1

up- and downgrade is ok, but the APs dont move to WLCA if they have B as primary and cannot reach his APmgmtint.

I consider if i have two problems or only one?

The AP first communicates to the managerint, get response and swaps to Apmanagerint but cannot reach it or dont get an answer. Why he dont move to his secondarywlc with the older code?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Don't know the answer... But just make sure you have the management and ap manager vlan allowed in the trunk port on both WLC's. As long as you have defined the primary and secondary wlc, the AP's should know this info. Mobility between the two WLC's is up correct?

Thanks,

Scott Fella

Sent from my iPhone

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card