cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3500e Antenna Selection

bret
Level 3
Level 3

So, I want to install a 3500e. I have a hole in my wireless network where this AP will be a perfect fit. I do have a wireless controller running code 6.x, so I think I will need to upgrade to 7 which is not a big deal.

The problem I have is the antenna selection. Since the AP has MIMO multiple-inputs multiple-inputs I’m perplexed on the type of antenna to choose. Since the environment is a warehouse the Omni directional would be preferred - should I also add the dipole antenna for close proximity to the AP. Also, I noticed in the getting started guide the 3500e has 6 external connection points 3 for 2.4 and 3 for 5 GHz. The antenna documentation says to use dual-band antennas, but this contradicts what is shown in the getting started guide. So what antennas should I get to make the 3500e work in a warehouse environment.

Thanks!

4 Replies 4

Stephen Rodriguez
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The dual band is for the 3600, not the 3500.

here is a link to the 802.11n antenna guide.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/wireless/ps7183/ps469/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Steve

HTH,
Steve

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Please remember to rate useful posts, and mark questions as answered

Good Catch. I read that document - its where I got the info about dual-band antennas. I guess I worded the discussion wrong oh well.

So to my question. If I wanted to use the 3500e mounted in the ceiling of the warehouse. To provide the best coverage should I get the ANT1728 and ANT5160V-R and it looks like I need to use all three slots. If I use the 3600e i can only use the ANT2524DG-R to achieve what the 3500e can do.

Since the 3600e uses the Dipole does that mean it has better coverage than the 3500e. There are obvious differences between the two from an antenna perspective. I guess that means one has greater coverage than the other and you would need to use more 3600's in an area.

For antennas "inside" or along the aisle, I'd use the AIR-ANT2451NV (you need one of this per 3502e WAP).

For the edge wall mounted antennas like the  AIR-ANT5160NP (5.0 Ghz) and AIR-ANT2460NP (2.4 Ghz) would be suitable.  You'll need one of each per 3502e WAP.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Agree with Steve.  Dual band antennas are for the newer 3600e.  3500e requires single band antennas.  Take note that 3500e WAPs can only support antennas with a maximum gain of 6 dBi.

Consider the following for warehouse deployment:

1.  If you have shelves then think about installing the antennas slightly below the highest stack.

2.  For antennas for use in a warehouse with shelves, use the patch antennas.  Install the antennas with the "Cisco" logo pointed downwards.  Find a patch antenna with a "footprint" shaped like a kidney.  Point the signal up and down the aisle.

3.  For antennas at the end of the aisle, use a wall-mounted patch antenna.   Point the "footprint" up the aisle. 

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card