cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3502i ceiling pole mounting options?

greg.fuller
Level 5
Level 5

I've got a number of 3502i's that I need to mount in a new classroom that does not have any ceiling (except the floor decking above).  Ceiling is roughly 30-50' up.  Contractors are going to run several 2" (or whatever we want) metal pipes from the ceiling down to a more reasonable level to mount the access points on and get below the hvac ducts/etc in the ceiling. 

Problem is I can't find any bracket or mounting options for this!  What are others using in this situation for mounting one of these access points onto a metal pipe such as this?  I've checked Oberon Wireless, Terrawave and I don't see anything glancing through the product catalogs.  Anyone mounting access points this way?

--greg

6 Replies 6

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is one way. They run a conduit from a double gain box mounted up in the ceiling. The conduit should be mounted to that box with a break away connection just in case. Then at the end on the conduit you place another double gain box and the universal ap mounting bracket will have mountain holes to match up with the double gain box. The regular ap mounting bracket does not have the correct holes unless you drill it out.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

This is the bracket. You also can go with a smaller OD conduit and run the cable inside.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/mounting/guide/apmount.html#wp47700

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
Ceiling is roughly 30-50' up.  Contractors are going to run several 2" (or whatever we want) metal pipes from the ceiling down to a more reasonable level to mount the access points on

Try to ensure you keep your copper run to below 100 metres.

And please get the ethernet cables tested (4-pair TDR) before the contractors leave.

Agreed, drop poles if this was the only AP I had to work with..

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

pavekin727
Level 1
Level 1

@greg.fuller wrote:

I've got a number of 3502i's that I need to mount in a new classroom that does not have any ceiling (except the floor decking above).  Ceiling is roughly 30-50' up.  Contractors are going to run several 2" (or whatever we want) metal pipes from the ceiling down to a more reasonable level to mount the access points on and get below the hvac ducts/etc in the ceiling. 

Problem is I can't find any bracket or mounting options for this!  What are others using in this situation for mounting one of these access points onto a metal pipe such as this?  I've checked Oberon Wireless, Terrawave and I don't see anything glancing through the product catalogs.  Anyone mounting access points this way?

--greg

This is one way. They run a channel from a twofold addition take care of mounted in the roof. The course ought to be mounted to that crate with a split away association for good measure. Then toward the end on the channel you place another twofold addition box and the all inclusive ap mounting section will have mountain openings to coordinate with the twofold increase box. The standard ap mounting section doesn't have the right openings except if you drill it out.

JPavonM
VIP
VIP

The cheaper option is to use a threaded rod attached to the AP bracket and direct to the hard ceiling. This is how I use to drop APs

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card