cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3600 Series AP's b/g/n Radio Not Coming UP

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

We installed 10 Cisco 3600i AP's, into one of our new buildings.  The AP's are connected to a 2960S PoE switch.  The 10 ports are configured for auto power inline.  The ports show 15.4 watts.  For 8 of the AP's, Radio 0 802.11 b/g/n admin status shows down, operating status shows down, clean air admin and clean air status show down.  Regulatory domain shows as supported.  For Radio 1 802.11 a/n, shows all up.  From admin to operating status.  When I log into the AP, I see that Radio 0 interface is administratively down, whereas Radio 1 is not.  Radio 1 shows up/up.  When I bring Radio 0 up, it shows up/up, but admin status still shows as down. Two of the ten AP's show both radios as up/up with admin and operating status as up.  I've researched the issue, and have done everything from turning off CDP on the AP, to turning off CDP on the port that the AP's are plugged into.  Nothing works.  I do think that if I tried a power adapter, on the AP, then the AP will function, but I do not have a power adapter to test that theory with.  I think the issue is with PoE.  Not sure why two of the ten work, and the other eight don't. Any ideas would be much appreciated. 

22 Replies 22

Hi Dan,

The LAP uses this information to make a controller selection, with use of these precedence rules:

1.If the LAP has previously been configured with a primary, secondary, and/or tertiary controller, the LAP examines the controller sysName field (from the LWAPP discovery responses) in an attempt to find the WLC that is configured as “primary”. If the LAP finds a matching sysName for the primary controller, the LAP sends an LWAPP join request to that WLC. If the LAP cannot find its primary controller or if the LWAPP join fails, the LAP tries to match the secondary controller sysName to the LWAPP discovery responses. If the LAP finds a match, it then sends an LWAPP join to the secondary controller. If the secondary WLC cannot be found or the LWAPP join fails, the LAP repeats the process for its tertiary controller.

2. The LAP looks at the Master Controller flag field in the LWAPP discovery responses from the candidate WLCs if one of these items is true:

No primary, secondary, and/or tertiary controllers have been configured for an AP.

These controllers cannot be found in the candidate list.

The LWAPP joins to those controllers have failed.

If a WLC is configured as a Master Controller, the LAP selects that WLC and send it an LWAPP join request.

3. If the LAP cannot successfully join a WLC on the basis of the criteria in step 1 and step 2, the LAP attempts to join the WLC that has the greatest excess capacity.

Regards

Post the "sh sysinfo". 

The only time I've seen 802.11b can't be enabled is when it's on the wrong regulatory domain.

show sysinfo

Manufacturer's Name.............................. Cisco Systems Inc.
Product Name..................................... Cisco Controller
Product Version.................................. 7.5.102.0
Bootloader Version............................... 1.0.1
Field Recovery Image Version..................... 6.0.182.0
Firmware Version................................. FPGA 1.3, Env 1.6, USB console 1.27
Build Type....................................... DATA + WPS

System Name...................................... 5508-1
System Location.................................. Europe
System Contact................................... Network Team
System ObjectID.................................. 1.3.6.1.4.1.9.1.1069
Redundancy Mode.................................. Disabled
IP Address....................................... x.x.x.x
Last Reset....................................... Software reset
System Up Time................................... 139 days 21 hrs 9 mins 38 secs
System Timezone Location......................... (GMT +1:00) Amsterdam, Berlin, Rome, Vienna
System Stats Realtime Interval................... 5
System Stats Normal Interval..................... 180

Configured Country............................... Multiple Countries:BR,CN,DE,GB,IN,J2,J3,J4,JP,SG,TR,US

Operating Environment............................ Commercial (0 to 40 C)
Internal Temp Alarm Limits....................... 0 to 65 C
Internal Temperature............................. +44 C
External Temperature............................. +34 C
Fan Status....................................... OK

State of 802.11b Network......................... Enabled
State of 802.11a Network......................... Enabled
Number of WLANs.................................. 3
Number of Active Clients......................... 350

Burned-in MAC Address............................ 64:00:F1:F5:E4:80
Power Supply 1................................... Present, OK
Power Supply 2................................... Present, OK
Maximum number of APs supported.................. 150

HI Dan,

Please check ur country code on WLC:

Countries:BR,CN,DE,GB,IN,J2,J3,J4,JP,SG,TR,US

As per AP : cisco AIR-CAP3602E-E-K9, you are somewhere in europe.

Regards

All of them are in DE (Germany) country code

HI Dan,

Choose Wireless > Country to open the Country page and uncheck the box for whcih U dont want to have on WLC.

As per ur sh sysinfo command: Countries:BR,CN,DE,GB,IN,J2,J3,J4,JP,SG,TR,US

Keep only DE.

Regards

Countries:BR,CN,DE,GB,IN,J2,J3,J4,JP,SG,TR,US

Just as I suspected.  This is the main reason why you won't see 802.11b radio.  You have enabled conflicting regulatory domain.

On WLC go to Wireless > 802.11b/g/n > Network and at the top under 802.11b/g Global Parameters you will see.

802.11b/g Network Status

Enabled

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card