Views
Helpful
Replies

3700e directional antenna

ElwinMkanyika
Level 1
Level 1

Guys,

Please help me understand this. I am used to getting access points with omnidirectional antennas, however, i need an AP that can be placed on the wall (not ceiling) and send the signal in a   certain direction only.

For 3700i, the signal is basically spread in 360 degrees meaning that I can simply put the AP in the middle and get coverage for the whole area. If i get 3700e, does that mean that i will need to get two of them? one for each end so as to get proper signal coverage at the other end? will it send the signal 180 degrees only?

Which antenna  can i use? Am looking for cone shaped antenna.

AP.png

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sandeep is right... We can't tell you a solution if it will work or not. A site survey by a vendor will guarantee that you have coverage with requirements that you need.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

Then its the only way: hideden and trial.

Place the AP at one location find out the coverage: use any directional anteena which i mentioned in my last post.

Directional Focused signal to direct energy in certain directions.

Put on walls(as shown in your pic ) pointing inward to direct signals.

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Again it is best to take support from IT profession support partnbet about site survey.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

View solution in original post

14 Replies 14

Sandeep Choudhary
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

HI Elwin,

You connect either omni or directional, first you must consider to have a site survey then you can say that by this anteena I can cover this much. Only site survey can tell you the required number of Access Points.

Put your requirement in front of Professional site survey expert then he can telöl you according to ur requirements.

Here is the list of Antenna:

http://www.cisco.com/c/dam/en/us/products/collateral/wireless/aironet-antennas-accessories/at_a_glance_c45-513837.pdf

Regards

What is the range/area that the 3702i access point cover by the way?

Thanks

What is the range/area that the 3702i access point cover by the way?

You need to provide more information.  

If, for example, you are an astronaut and you went to the moon.  If you set up the AP in the middle of the moon, you should be able to get ample coverage at 40 metres in a single direction (not end-to-end).  

This means that you have all the low-speed data rates enabled as well as the power set to full.  

If you are back on Earth and you walk into an office with walls, compactors, elevators, filing cabinets, you won't get that range.

We are back on earth in an open space environment of 15 m by 15 m. According to documentation, an AP range is about 13m radius.. so I figured that one AP would be sufficient and simply needed confirmation. 

Am in a different country so site survey is not possible. 

I am relying on Cisco Prime for the planning but according to the above thread, It seems that I cannot rely on that tool too. 

What other planning tools are available?

We are back on earth in an open space environment of 15 m by 15 m. According to documentation, an AP range is about 13m radius.. so I figured that one AP would be sufficient and simply needed confirmation. 

What about the HEIGHT?  How high is the antenna?  What kind of antenna?  What is the angle of the antenna?  

Not easy to determine because there are a lot of factors not mentioned.

What other planning tools are available?

Most important tool is to get an wireless client with both 802.11a and 802.11b radios.  You can use inSSIDer or Kismet which are free.  

If you are not familiar, then I'd recommend you get a wireless site survey done (like what Sandeep and Scott has been recommending you do).  

The height of the building is 5m. 

That's what am trying to figure out. Which antenna is best in such a situation. 

I have inssider and it basically shows the signal strength for an AP that is already there. I am trying to pick an antenna, AP is not there so i don't think that inssider will help here. 

Elwin, 

How important is this room to get the wireless done CORRECTLY? 

If the wireless in this room is very important, then get a site survey done.  You cannot afford to get this wrong.  

I inquired on choosing antenna type for AP, but instead my question turned to site survey. 

Thank you All. Very helpful. Lets mark this as answered. 

Range is about 15m by 15 m

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Sandeep is right... We can't tell you a solution if it will work or not. A site survey by a vendor will guarantee that you have coverage with requirements that you need.

-Scott

Am using Cisco Prime for the planning. I had chosen all APs with internal antennas...however, we have to move one AP from the center of the room to the corner as that place cannot be drilled etc etc..

So I just need to replace one AP.

Then its the only way: hideden and trial.

Place the AP at one location find out the coverage: use any directional anteena which i mentioned in my last post.

Directional Focused signal to direct energy in certain directions.

Put on walls(as shown in your pic ) pointing inward to direct signals.

Again it is best to take support from IT profession support partnbet about site survey.

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Moving an AP from the center of a room to the corner should not be a big deal, unless the room is very big. Planner tools are more for the sales people to use and as an engineer... I don't trust it not us it. If the room is small, you don't need to change from an internal antenna, unless again your talking about a large area. If you don't want to have a site survey done like everyone will suggest, just add the AP and then walk around after and figure out where your signal is lacking and add more AP's. Because in the end, this is what you will have to do.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card