Helpful
Replies

3850 MC & Compatibility Matrix

alex.roth
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Following question. I checked the Cisco WLAN Software Comatibilitäts Martix

last version ( September 13 ) and checked the section Inter - Release Controller Mobility

to check the possibility  to mix 5508 & 3850 switches. If I understand the document correctly I

can´t use a  3850  switch in a MC role and can add this switch to an existing anchor controller ( Guest Access )

which running on a existing 5508 with version 7.4.110 . It seems for me that in this case I must

change to  converged access / Hirachical Mobility and I can´t not mix the existing solution ?

Thanks for help and clarification.

Regards

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Alex,

NGWC (5760,3850,3650) controllers used CAPWAP for inter-controller mobility. In legacy WLC (5508,2504,WiSM-2) used EoIP. Therefore mobility between these two type of controllers are not possible as it is.

Cisco introduced this CAPWAP inter-controller mobility only for 7.3MR1 & 7.5.x software codes. In these code you can enable a feature called "New Mobility" in order to change inter-wlc mobilty communication from EoIP to CAPWAP. Here is config guide to do this on 7.5.102.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

So if your 5508 having any other software, mobility with NGWC is not possible.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Hi Alex,

NGWC (5760,3850,3650) controllers used CAPWAP for inter-controller mobility. In legacy WLC (5508,2504,WiSM-2) used EoIP. Therefore mobility between these two type of controllers are not possible as it is.

Cisco introduced this CAPWAP inter-controller mobility only for 7.3MR1 & 7.5.x software codes. In these code you can enable a feature called "New Mobility" in order to change inter-wlc mobilty communication from EoIP to CAPWAP. Here is config guide to do this on 7.5.102.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

So if your 5508 having any other software, mobility with NGWC is not possible.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

This is what I thought but I was not sure. Now it is clear . Many thnaks for your very good clarification .

Many Thnaks.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card