Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

3850 MC & Compatibility Matrix

Hi,

Following question. I checked the Cisco WLAN Software Comatibilitäts Martix

last version ( September 13 ) and checked the section Inter - Release Controller Mobility

to check the possibility  to mix 5508 & 3850 switches. If I understand the document correctly I

can´t use a  3850  switch in a MC role and can add this switch to an existing anchor controller ( Guest Access )

which running on a existing 5508 with version 7.4.110 . It seems for me that in this case I must

change to  converged access / Hirachical Mobility and I can´t not mix the existing solution ?

Thanks for help and clarification.

Regards

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: 3850 MC & Compatibility Matrix

Hi Alex,

NGWC (5760,3850,3650) controllers used CAPWAP for inter-controller mobility. In legacy WLC (5508,2504,WiSM-2) used EoIP. Therefore mobility between these two type of controllers are not possible as it is.

Cisco introduced this CAPWAP inter-controller mobility only for 7.3MR1 & 7.5.x software codes. In these code you can enable a feature called "New Mobility" in order to change inter-wlc mobilty communication from EoIP to CAPWAP. Here is config guide to do this on 7.5.102.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

So if your 5508 having any other software, mobility with NGWC is not possible.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

2 REPLIES
VIP Purple

Re: 3850 MC & Compatibility Matrix

Hi Alex,

NGWC (5760,3850,3650) controllers used CAPWAP for inter-controller mobility. In legacy WLC (5508,2504,WiSM-2) used EoIP. Therefore mobility between these two type of controllers are not possible as it is.

Cisco introduced this CAPWAP inter-controller mobility only for 7.3MR1 & 7.5.x software codes. In these code you can enable a feature called "New Mobility" in order to change inter-wlc mobilty communication from EoIP to CAPWAP. Here is config guide to do this on 7.5.102.0

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/7.5/config_guide/b_cg75_chapter_010010101.html

So if your 5508 having any other software, mobility with NGWC is not possible.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

3850 MC & Compatibility Matrix

Hi,

This is what I thought but I was not sure. Now it is clear . Many thnaks for your very good clarification .

Many Thnaks.

Views
Helpful
Replies