cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3850 running as (MC) connecting to 2504 (GC) supported?

justin.mosca
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I'm a bit confused about the new mobility features in the cisco 3850 switch and if they can be integrated with older WLCs.

I have a 2504 WLC which currently has a guest SSID configured to provide guest access. I will be upgrading this controler to code to 7.4.100.0 as

I read a FAQ that 2504 can now terminate EoIP tunnels in this code.

I also have a new Cisco 3850 switch that will be added to the network and setup as a Mobilty Controller so I can connect and register APs directly to it.

If possible, I would like to configure the 2504 as the guest anchor and then tunnel the traffic from a new wireless guest ssid on the 3850 to the existing wireless guest SSID on the 2504 ap.

The reason for the tunneling is because these two switches are seperated via layer 3.

Is this possible / supported?

Thanks,

Justin.

10 Replies 10

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

The 2504 will not be supported in CA when v7.5 is released. The 5508, WiSM2 and soon 8500 will be compatible with CA and will be able to be an MC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

The funny thing is that I have been running 2504 on DMZ as a guest anchor with new mobility.

I have 5508 as a "central MC" and 3850 switches as MAs in the access. I pointed 3850 guest tunnel directly to the 2504 on DMZ. (Didn´t work through 5508 MC from 3850 as I thought it should)

And the guest termination works. Even with COA and ISE for the guest access and device onboarding.

This is on code 7.6.110 on the 2504. Now I was upgrading to 7.6.130 and all the new mobility configuration is vanished from the GUI! ouch...

This is probably a UI bug, try using CLI
#config mobility new-architecture enable    -WLC will prompt for reboot

In release 8 and above, the tickable box in the UI is back :)

Ravi Singh
Level 7
Level 7

It will not support. For more detail see the compatibility matrix list on below link

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5500/tech_notes/Wireless_Software_Compatibility_Matrix.html

Viten Patel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Justin,

I think its still possible. The new mobility exists on 7.3.112.0.

You can run the 2504 on that code and turn on the new mobility on it.

Also, new mobility is on 7.5 and as far my knowledge goes, 2504 will work with 7.5.

Thanks,

Hi Viten,

7.3.x does not support terminating EoIP tunnels, so I don't know how this would be possible prior to 7.4

I was told by the product team at Cisco live that the 2504 will no be supported in converged access. This includes anchoring to 2504 as a guest anchor.

-Scott

The funny this is that CA is supported on v7.3 but not v7.4 but will be supported in v7.5 and later code.

-Scott

haha well that just makes things real confusing! No wonder I found it hard to find documentation to support this.

Well it wasn't supported per the docs in v7.3 or v7.4. I was hoping it would be in v7.5 and that is why I asked them. They basically said the hardware would not support it.

-Scott
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card