cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5,7GHz products with external antenna connector

elointernet
Level 1
Level 1

I'm using many AP and BR in 2.4GHz for outdoor connections. I saw that the new product Aironet 1200 can be used with 5,7GHz frequency but it does not have a RF connector for an external antenna.

Will it be available some day with RF connector ? (like AP352R2)

Is there any other good solution for this ?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

As the AP1200 802.11A card covers both the UNII 1 and UNII 2 bands it is a FCC requirement that it has a fixed antenna.

View solution in original post

It is all dependant which UNII band the product uses there are 3 bands within the 5.7Ghz band known as UNII 1 UNII 2 and UNII 3

Each of these 3 bands have different FCC rules.

The 802.11a cards in the AP1200 covers 2 of these bands and as such has to comply to the scrictest of the rules for each band. You will also see in the release notes that the low channels are NOT to be used outdoors in the US this is due to the same FCC rules that state we have to use a fixed antenna.

I am not familar with the products you mentioned from other manufactures but I susspect that they only do UNII 3 and as such come under different FCC rules.

We do not have a UNII3 product but your account team will be able to help you with your question about if a product like this is soon to be released. I am sorry but I dont know what is on the roadmap.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

derwin
Level 5
Level 5

As the AP1200 802.11A card covers both the UNII 1 and UNII 2 bands it is a FCC requirement that it has a fixed antenna.

So, I think it was made for indoor use.

Some manufacturer makes 5,7 radios with integrated antenna with more gain (I saw with 5dBi sectorial) for outdoor use (Ex. Breezecom, Proxim).

Do you know anything about this feature in new Cisco products ?

It is all dependant which UNII band the product uses there are 3 bands within the 5.7Ghz band known as UNII 1 UNII 2 and UNII 3

Each of these 3 bands have different FCC rules.

The 802.11a cards in the AP1200 covers 2 of these bands and as such has to comply to the scrictest of the rules for each band. You will also see in the release notes that the low channels are NOT to be used outdoors in the US this is due to the same FCC rules that state we have to use a fixed antenna.

I am not familar with the products you mentioned from other manufactures but I susspect that they only do UNII 3 and as such come under different FCC rules.

We do not have a UNII3 product but your account team will be able to help you with your question about if a product like this is soon to be released. I am sorry but I dont know what is on the roadmap.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card