Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

54mbps or 108mbps

I am under the belief that although Cisco give this 108mbps the hard sell on their kit (just bought a number of 1241's) achieving this speed is impossible. Cisco state "108mbps from a single device" This leads a buyer to believe that the device is a wireless client, I beleive its the AP itself. Am I right in thinking that the 108mbps is a combination of the two radios and a client can only connect to one of them? Or can you actually bridge these together to give a client the 108mbps? I don't think you can, I thinks its a clever marketing ploy.

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Paul,

You are correct! I hope nobody from Cisco promised 108mbs. As you have discovered the number 108 is the combinaton of 802.11g and 802.11a data rates, and with the subtraction due to overhead the actual throughput is much lower. And of course you can only connect to one radio at a time. Have a look;

Approximate Throughput Comparison for 802.11a, 802.11b, and 802.11g

802.11b Data Rate (Mbps)=11 Approximate Throughput (Mbps)=6

802.11g (no 802.11b clients in cell) Data Rate (Mbps)=54 Approximate Throughput (Mbps)=22

802.11a Data Rate (Mbps)=54 Approximate Throughput (Mbps)=25

From this great doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_white_paper09186a00801d61a3.shtml

Hope this helps! I know its a bummer :(

Rob

Please remember to rate helpful posts.....

That is a helpful document - 5.0 from me.

Thanks John,

Just when you think you have read every possible doc that Cisco has to offer, you stumble across something new(in this case old!). I guess it proves the fact that there must be 8 zillion docs floating around the Cisco world!

Keep up the great work!

Rob

An excellent document and worthy of the rating. Does anyone know when the 802.11n standard will appear on the Cisco market?

Has 802.11n been ratified?

It usually takes a few months after ratification of the standard.

Cisco will not produce products based on pre-standards (unless it's a Cisco pre-standard, of course ;-} )

FWIW

Good Luck

Scott

Hey Scott,

Here is what I found regarding 802.11n;

According to the IEEE 802.11 Working Group Project Timelines,the 802.11n standard is not due for final approval until July 2007.

From this good Wikipedia doc;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11

Take care!

Rob

Cool, thanks Rob!

Top O' the Holiday season to ya!

Scott

Hey Scott,

Thanks man! Happy holidays to you and yours as well :)

Looking forward to some time off! The campus is closed between Christmas and New Years and so far no projects planned YAHOO!!

Take care, keep up the great posts. I love reading them and have learned a ton from you!

Rob

PS: What are we doing on here at this crazy hour of the day? I guess its coffee and the forums for you too :)

I met with Cisco today and asked them this very question. They said that Linksys had already started making the appliances but Cisco will not produce anything until the standard is fully ratified which he expects to be around the end of 2007.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card