Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

5508 WLC Interface Groups

We have not configured or used interface groups in our wireless deployments, and I am just curious if there are any issues or caveats experienced with using these?  We have a few instances where we have setup a /23 network for a specific wlan.  I  undertsand this increases broadcasts.  Would interface groups be preferred over using a /23 or even maybe a /22 to accomodate addressing?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

By default, the WLC will not forward broadcast.  There are pro's an con's to interface groups... if your doing multicast, that can be an issue unless you specify an multicast vlan.  I have used interface groups because customer standardize on /24, so I would combine a bunch of /24's to create an interface group.  I have customers with /23 and /23 and others with no issues... but I look at it as on the wired side.  You okay with /23 and or /22 on the wired side?

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
3 REPLIES

By default, the WLC will not forward broadcast.  There are pro's an con's to interface groups... if your doing multicast, that can be an issue unless you specify an multicast vlan.  I have used interface groups because customer standardize on /24, so I would combine a bunch of /24's to create an interface group.  I have customers with /23 and /23 and others with no issues... but I look at it as on the wired side.  You okay with /23 and or /22 on the wired side?

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

We have only use /23 in a few instances.  No issues currently.  Thanks.

You are good.... /23 isn't bad at all.  I have to deal with customers who have /16's and wireless and wired on the same subnet:(

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott
Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content