cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

5520 WLC code - 8.2 or 8.3

josephb57
Level 1
Level 1

I noticed that there are two WLC code versions that have been moved to the 'Suggested'state: 8.2.161.0(ED) and 8.3.122.0(ED). We are currently running 8.2.151.0 (the last suggested code level).

Is there a benefit moving to 8.3.122.0 now that it is a 'Suggested' code version? Which one would be considered more stable of the two?

We prefer to have stable code instead of having the latest features.

Is there any documentation that shows what features are added in 8.3?

Any and all information is appreciated. Thanks!

9 Replies 9

Seb Rupik
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Have a read of the release notes which are available on the software download pages.

8.2.151.0 -> 8.2.161.0  :- One new feature has been added, and plenty of resovled caveats.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn82mr6.html

8.3.122.0 :- is a higher version number so will come with new features.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn83mr2.html

Check the earlier releases notes for v8.3 to get an impression of which new features have been added, eg:

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn83mr1.html#concept_8E26B35E7663479AAFC19A7D62035DC2

Make sure that if you are changing to v8.3 that you read the sections details supported APs and 'Key features not supported on Cisco 5520...'

Unless you are after a particular feature available in the 8.3 train, use the latest 8.2 to avoid compatibility issues

cheers,

Seb.

M. Wisely
Level 4
Level 4

8.3.122.0 Release Note

8.3.112.0 Release Note

8.3.102.0 Release Note

Above are the release notes for 8.3 releases.

It's worth looking up the bugs in the release notes to see if they might cause you issues

Unless you really need those new features added in latest versions, I would suggest to stick with a stable release. Stability poing of view 8.2MR6 (8.2.161.0) should be way above 8.3MR2 (8.3.122.0)

Yes, those star marks agains a code indicate that is tested more than other codes, but it does not guarantee it will work in every environment. If you know your setup & histroy with wireless issues with specific code trains, I would give higher weight for that.

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses *** 

8.2.161.0 is a show stopper for us.  We haven't tried it but bug CSCux15561 scared me away from it.  We have 15 3502 access points and aparently this bug that is open in 8.2.161.0 can cause them to fail to boot.

We went from 7.4.140.0 to 8.0.140.0 instead.

There were more open caveots in 8.3.122.0 than 8.0.140.0 that I felt comfortable with at the moment.

Perhaps in a year if we invest in any 3800 series access points, this CSCux15561 bug will be resolved and we can move to the 8.2 train.  Or perhaps there will be more maintenance releases on the 8.3 train that will bring down the open caveot list down to something manageable.

The bug ID tells of a fix by upgrading the bootstrap of the AP.

Which Cisco is aware of and didn't even offer it to us.

They said to go to 8.3.122.0 or 8.0.140.0.  I have a case open.

@keithsauer507 wrote:

Which Cisco is aware of and didn't even offer it to us. 

TAC probably has/have their reasons not to.  It is all up to the customer.  If you want the bootstrap file then you'll have to request for it.

Were on 8.0.140.0 without any issues now.  I'll leave it there unless something major comes up.  If we go with any newer ac wave2 AP's, then I will look at the 8.3 train (or 8.2 if that bug with the 3500 series is fixed).

Our budget process is a calendar year, so if we budget for some new AP's we wouldn't be purchasing them until anytime in 2018 anyway.

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
It doesn't matter what code you're running. The main question is: Are you using 2800/3800 APs or not?
If you are, then stick with the latest 8.2.
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card