Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

802.11 a/b/g signal distance limits

Hi,

I understand that the 11a signal distance (omni-directional) is less than that of 11b....ie...replacing 11b APs with 11a means the possibility of deploying more 11a units to have the same coverage. How about 11g? I suspect that distance is still sacrificed for speed. So, presumably, my 11g AP and 11g client card (both compliant....whenever) will automatically switch from 'g' to 'b' (54 to 11) as I move farther away from the AP? So I must deploy more 'g' APs if I want to provide 54 meg. coverage over my existing 'b' deployment?

....hope that makes sense......thx...in advance........Jamie

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Re: 802.11 a/b/g signal distance limits

Hi

Different modulation profiles comes in pitcher at different speed ( distance )

If client is at loger distance , ap and client can not understand or negotiate

higher complex modulation profile so they switch to lower modulation profile

or complex and hence less bits per symbol . So at longer distance you get slower speed or less throughput .

If client is closer , he can negotiate complex modulation algoritham and so

get higher speed .

In case of A and G they use advance modulation technique and get more throughput but less coverage . In case of g also we use advance modualtion

so more throughput but again less coverage so you will need to deploy more

number of AP than you deploy in b .

Nilesh

Re: 802.11 a/b/g signal distance limits

hello nilesh

if i am going for say 5 APs in 802.11B in a factory, when i upgrade to same S-Band 802.11G, i need more

1. APs

2. Antennas

3. Cables

4. Connectors

5. Labour

am i right!!!

kalyan

Views
Helpful
Replies