Helpful
Replies

802.11G and B compatibilty

a.diot
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

802.11B use DSSS and 802.11G will use OFDM so

will a client 11B be able to talk with a 11G client (hadoc mode)?

If a upgrade my AP 1200 or 1100 in order to support 11G will i still be able to talk

with 11B clients?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

fjuch
Level 1
Level 1

I believe everybody who says they will make 802.11g radio chipsets will make them backward compatible to 802.11b. So it should all work together. It will just be slower on 802.11b.

Boy won't this be fun. 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.1x and 802.1i all together on one Access Point. Of course some will also have 802.11a.

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

YES..802.11 G is backword compitible with 802.11b..But not with 802.11a.

I mean to say 802.11g "will be" backword compitible with 802.11b as 802.11g is not released yet by cisco..

And when does the g will be released bay cisco ?

alinn
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

HI,

Just thought I would answer this inquiry. Yes you can have a mix of clients in ad hoc mode as the A/B/G combo card (AIR-CB21AG and AIR-PI21AG) will just use the B radio speed/data rates and will have no problem talking with other B compliant clients device. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Aaron

This works well. I have heard a lot of SE's out there that suggest "watch out for your performance". But you know, in my recent experience if you are deploying a purely G environment you will have little problems.

Just be aware that if you go G your effective radiation will drop because a greater portion of the spectrum is used.

I find that if I have one AP and maybe a half dozen users in the room, nobody notices. When you get maybe 20 users connected then your WLAN behavior changes and everyone pretty much runs at 'B' speeds.

Chris

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: