Views
Helpful
Replies

802.11n AP installation

terrywatson
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

My understanding of spatial multiplexing is that the separate data streams are better understood by the reciever when multipathing in the RF environment is high. If this is the case then to ensure multipathing, line of site between AP and STA should be avoided. Should I therefore aim to install a 1250 AP behind metal to get the best performance?

Terry

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

No...... 'N' works better in areas where there is mulitpath, but doesn't mean you should introduce multipath.

Place AP's like you would if you were running 802.11a/b/g.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

hi fella5

thanks for the speedy response.

Just remember.... multipath is still your ememy:)

-Scott

fella5, i heard exactly the opposite from Cisco. My takeaway from one of the 11n technical training sessions was that the traditional rules of AP placement were turned upside down...11n NEEDS multipath for optimal performance...we were told the more the better...

I was at the 11n training session also and the BU told us that we should survey the same as if you were using a 1242 or 1131. 11n uses multipath to provide better signal at a greater distance, but provides the same coverage. 11n is a draft and that helps in a multipath environment, but unless you have 'N' enabled on the AP and clients are all 'N' enabled, 802.11b/g and 802.11a environment will still have issues with multipath. So in short, they want to use the 1252, but most likely will still have normal 802.11b/g/a clinets.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card