Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

802.1p mapping?

Hi All,

have any noticed the 802.11p setting on the WLC has changed several times depending on the software code?

This is from 7.4.110.0

the 802.11p = 5.

Will I get 5 or 4?

The 802.11p = 6

will I get 6 or 5?

802.11p = 6

Will I get 6 or 5?

Confused ohh yes a little... What to expect?

Have Cisco changed the way we use to understand this 802.1p marking?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: 802.1p mapping?

It will equl to 5.... this is just how Cisco does it and its confusing in the begining, but then you just get use to it.  The issue I'm saying is that code upgrades cna change your 802.1p markings which will then be wrong... you need to change them back.  It's not that Cisco keeps changing it.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
8 REPLIES

It's a bug. George or Leo ran into this. The best thing to do prior to an upgrade, and I always do this, is to backup the config prior to an upgrade, upgrade the WLC and take another backup. Do a compare of the two configs to identify any changes. There might be other things that might change or get defaulted.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott

802.1p mapping?

Hi Scott,

Thanks for you reply.

you might have misunderstood my question cause to missing screen shot.

I have until now, always "converted" the setting of 6 on the 802.1p to 5 in real life.

you know. 

The IEEE is who designed the 802.11p and the 802.11e protocol.
The possible mapping/classification is eight (0-7)
The IETF-organization and Cisco do not quite agree on the way to look at the IEEE QoS stuff.

Both agree that 7 is to be used for emergency and there by actually never to be used on the network.
IETF claim the most important packets (for data) are voice packets. Cisco claim the most important packets is the LWAPP/CAPWAP packets + route update and so on, cause without them we don’t have any network and thereby no voice... Personally I'm a "fan" of Cisco here... 

I'm just trying to figure. Has Cisco made any change in the 802.1p setting. Will 6 be eaquel to 6 or 5?

It will equl to 5.... this is just how Cisco does it and its confusing in the begining, but then you just get use to it.  The issue I'm saying is that code upgrades cna change your 802.1p markings which will then be wrong... you need to change them back.  It's not that Cisco keeps changing it.

Thanks,

Scott

Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"

-Scott

I to was very confused and tried to figure out the relationship of how it was mapped. Eventually you just memorize the .p on the WLC.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
VIP Purple

This value should be set as below & it maps to the 802.11e UP value comes in wireless frame.

QoS profile platinum =6 Gold =5, Silver=3 & Bronze =1

Refer this for more detail

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/solutions/Enterprise/Mobility/emob73dg/ch5_QoS.html#wp1051421

So any of the controller codes does not reflect in this order, that's due to bugs of those software code. In particular 7.5.102.0 it is listed, but other software codes it should be documented if is not align to above. Even in 7.5 it is documented it affect only Platinum, but I noticed Gold, Silver affected as well since values changed to 4, 2 when upgraded to 7.5.

CSCui69732: Platinum 802.1p tagging defaulted to 5 after upgrade to 7.5.102.0

Symptom:

Platinum 802.1p tagging changed to 5

Conditions:

Platinum 802.1p tagged at 6 and upgrading to 7.5.102.0

Workaround:

Disable networks and change tagging back to 6

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

802.1p mapping?

Thanks Rasika