Views
Helpful
Replies

80211n with just 60 mbit per second

Frank Lindner
Level 1
Level 1

Hello there,

we have a Cisco 2106 WLC with software version 5.1.151.0 and 2 LAP1252.

Everything is enabled for 802.11n, an Intel 4965 client is connecting correctly, shows that 300 mbit per second. But the real throughput (with the iperf-tool) is just 60mbit/s.

The client is working in 802.11a frequency-band and 40 mhz channel bandwidth. all 11n rates are enabled.

now the questions: what's wrong with it? did we forget something?

thanks for your answers.

greetings from germany

Franky

27 Replies 27

Thanks for your response on setting up 802.11n access. I set my 5GHz radio MCS to 15 only and I still only get 54Mbps max to a Dell Wireless 1510 Wireless-N WLAN MiniCard. Attached is how my radios are conf on my 1252.

Thanks,

Ken

Did you enable 40 Mhz channel bandwidth and client link feature? did you also enable all antennas?

40Mhz channel is enabled on the 5Ghz module and all six antennas are enabled with the Receive and Transmit Antenna set to diversity. This can be seen on the attached snapshot of both module configuration on my last post message.

What is Client Link Feature?

Don't know if this feature exists on autonoums AP also, but I can enable this on the 802.11b/g/n Network page and on the 802.11a/n Network page.

But as i had seen on your screenshot, the webinterfaces are a bit different between LAP and AP. You may need to search a bit for it, it should exist.

Another tipp could be to disable the 2,4 ghz interface. Just enable 5 Ghz with 40 Mhz channel bandwidth.

Is your client setted correctly? The n-feature is enabled in driver settings. What displays the status windows of your Dell client? It should display the 40 Mhz and 2x2 Tx / Rx for antennas.

mervw
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Franky

I am having a similar issue, any chance of getting a copy of your config so we can compare.

Thanks

Merv

Thanks for the add info on this and I am sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

There is no client link feature on the 1252. Diabling the 2.4 ghz interface did not help.

I enabled a 40Mhz option on the client but still only getting 54Mbps max speed.

Ken

hi diek,

but i don't know, why the standalone 1252 doesn't have this feature. it should be there. but the config-web-interface isn't similar to the controller-based. had you allready take a look in the config manual from cisco? maybe search the pdf-file for this feature.

hi marvw,

i try to take some time next week. but i have many other projects to work on or i'm on business travel.

maybe you can post me your email-address so that i can mail this to you.

If this is a controller you use for testing, would you be able to upgrade to the 6.x code base and let us know if the performance improves? I have heard from Cisco that 6.0 is "faster" than 5.2, which is faster than 5.1 (with 802.11n).

It would also be great if you could test with something besides an Intel card.

i have upgraded to 6.x and also tested with a broadcom card. now works fine. i just need to make several parallel connections with iperf for example. FTP transfer is done with around 100 mbit/s. that's what i want.

dasfranky

I thought you fixed your problem on the July 23 when you said you were now getting 140Mbps. Now on Aug 2 you upgraded to 6.x and said the broadcom card works. What fixed your problem?

My 1252 is attached to a C3570G-48TS-S

and not a standalone. When you say "the config-web-interface isn't similar to the conroller based" do you consider controller based config to be command line configuration?

I got my 1252 setup to support an 802.11n device at 270Mbps using the following steps from Cisco Support.

1. At least 3 antennas must be enabled.

2. In the 5 ghz band all MCS rates must be enabled

3. Security should be either WPA2-AES or an open authentication.

4. Enable wmm.by going to Services then QoS and then under Advanced enable wmm

5. Channel Bonding is set under Network Interfaces Radio1 Settings with Channel Width set to Above 40 MHz

I had to also upgrade the 1252 System

Software Version to 12.4(10b)JDA3 from 12.4(10b)JA1.

Yes, I solved it. earlier i only got about 70mbit/s. now, with more parallel data-streams, i achiev about 140 mbit/s.

i have 2 intel 4965 and 1 braodcom **** (don't know the model right now) integrated in laptops.

during the my tests i had to upgrade to v 6.x because we have some 1142 AP and they doesn't worked with the v5.x controller version. our controller is a 2106 WLC.

i'm sorry, but with command line a can't help you. i'm not that "pro" in CLI. maybe i can copy my config and send it to you.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: