cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

8510 Foreign Controller and 5760 Anchor Controller?

Joana Manzano
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I would like to know if a Foreign 8510 WLC is able to work with a 5760 Anchor Controller in the DMZ for the New Mobility Design.  According to the documentation, a 8510 WLC is able to work as a Foreign controller although an Anchor deployment is not possible. However, it doesn't specify which Anchor controllers.

"Features Not Supported on Cisco 8500 Controllers

•Cisco 8500 Series Controller cannot be configured as a guest anchor controller. However, it can be configured as a foreign controller to tunnel guest traffic to a guest anchor controller in a DMZ."

http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn74mr1.html#wp1018566

Does anybody have this topology working? Are there any specific versions required?

Thanks,

Joana.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Your 8510 required 7.6 or above to support new mobility. This post should help you to understand the configuration involve in basic mobility peering (in this post 5508 is setup as anchor)

http://mrncciew.com/2014/05/06/configuring-new-mobility/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Your 8510 required 7.6 or above to support new mobility. This post should help you to understand the configuration involve in basic mobility peering (in this post 5508 is setup as anchor)

http://mrncciew.com/2014/05/06/configuring-new-mobility/

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

Now the Mobility is up and working between the foreign controller (8510) and the anchor controller (5760). Do you also know about any useful example of configuration for Guest Access integrated with Cisco ISE for this particular scenario?

Joana.

We just loaded two new 8510's as an HA pair running 8.0.100.0 and new mobility is no longer available ..... "Interestingly" the release notes do not state that new mobility was removed.

The same pair do support new mobility running 7.6.130.0 

You need to check with TAC if this is expected behavior or a bug 8.0 in HA mode.

HTH

Rasika

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, that's right. 8.0.100.0 doesn't support new mobility. I think this feature is coming in version 8.1 next year. So we are running version 7.6.130.0 in our Foreign 8510 Controllers.

I would like to add some more information about some issues we found during our deployment, just in case someone runs into the same problems: We also deployed a 5760 Anchor Controller in our DMZ for Guest Access integrated with Cisco ISE for Guest Portal and User Authentication/Authorization. I had issues to get the redirection part to ISE Guest Portal working. The redirection ACL was correctly applied to clients but they were never redirected to the web portal for authentication. After opening a TAC case we got the scenario working running version 03.03.04SE in the 5760 Anchor Controller.  I hope it helps.

Thanks again!

Joana.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card