Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

851W signal atrength

I have set up a 851W and had no real problems. The problem I have is the signal strength is erratic varing some 30 db measured with two different meters. At times it appears to loose all it's signal momentarly. I have varied the CCk and OFDM transmitter powers but it had no effect. The erratic signal strength problem doesn't change with distance, 10 feet or 50 feet doesn't matter. I have tried three different PCMCIA cards, Cisco CB21AG-a-K9, Dlink and Linksey and the erratic signal is still there. I have removed and reinstalled the antenna but with no change. I have eliminated all wireless phones, lights and equipment to eliminate the posibility of some form of inside interferance. I have moved the router to different locations and it didn't change the erratic signals. I have other brands of routers which don't display any signal strength problems. Am I missing some setting in the configuration that could cause this?

8 REPLIES
Green

Re: 851W signal atrength

Bring up Netstumbler (it's free) and run it for ~half hour and see what channels are in-use.

It will also help to identify interference from non-802.11 sources.

If you're absolutely sure that the channel is clear, and there is no significant interference, then check the cabling to the antenna (especially if you've modified it).

Make sure you have good clearance around the antenna and AP (avoid heat buildup - transmitters can get pretty warm).

Check the logs. If you are getting MIC errors at a rate of two per minute, it will shut down the radio. The last time I saw this was with Intel 2200 NICs using older drivers.

There is always a possibility that you have bad radio, if you've hit the wall with diagnostics, try RMAing the radio.

Good Luck, Happy New Year

Scott

Thanks for the reply. I have changed the cables and tried every channel several times. I've been using Net Stumbler from the start so I have a few hours worth of logs. I have an Asante router and it doesn't have a problem when using the same channel or channels as the 851W sitting in the same place. Of course only having one of them powered up at a time. Using Net Stumbler I can pick up seven or so other routers and none of them show the erratic signal strength problems. I bought the 851W from Provantage so I guess I'll give them a call tuesday and see if I can get an RMA for this one. Haven't found a way to send it direct to Cisco. I was just hoping that I had made a mistake in configuring this one but after working with it for two weeks I've ran out of ideas.

Just as a follow up, I spoke with a Cisco rep and I have RMA'ed the router. This has been my first experience with a Cisco, hope the second one is a little better.

Green

If the RMA fixes it, please re-post and let us know.

Good Luck

Scott

Follow up, I just received a replacement 851w and it displays the same erratic and weak signal as the previous one. My $70 Asante FR1104 router out performs and is much more stable than this $300 router.

Update: I had to return the second 851W I had been sent. I recieived a refund on it and then purchased an 871W. It is up and running with no problems.

Green

I'm glad to hear you finally got it resolved, and, thanks for letting us know.

Was there any explanation as to why/how you got two bad units?

Just curious ...

Scott

The e-mail I received from Cisco just said that they may have had a bad batch. Both of the 851W's came from the same place with serial nimbers somewhat close. If a bad batch is the problem, hopefully they will get them off the shelf to keep some one else from going through the time consuming flustration I did. I didn't need the added capabilities of th 871W but I needed a router to get my operation back up and didn't want to chance receiving another bad 851W.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content