cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

871w wireless range

stablesolution
Level 1
Level 1

have a 871w in small business aplication. What is the best way to increase wireless range for laptops used with-in the office?

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mark,

You have to provide more information.  The 870W radio is b/g and in an un-obstructed location, 30-50 metres is OK.  How many clients and what distance are you talking about?

If you want to extend the range, get some APs and connect them to the 4-port switch.

thanks for getting back to me. The offices are in a converted barn around a court yard, 25m square, so the area is quite obstructive. There is also a further workshop where I use my laptop whilst working on the bikes (I'm a motogp chassis consultant). Across the courtyard opposite the main office is signal is ok'ish, but can drop off at times. Keeping blinds etc open helps, but in our current winter isn't always an option! So, was just after something that would increase the strength of the current signal. I've seen the optional antennae for the rear of the unit, or the remote antennae to put around the offices, but don't want to waste time & money on getting something which isn't going to help.

Regards,

Mark

I have an 871W I use at home and do have different antenna's connected to the unit.  This does give me better coverage, but not much.  You are better off running an ethernet cable to another location where you have poor or no signal and setup and access point there.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card