Views
Helpful
Replies

877W blocks arps between wireless clients

joe.bennett
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

I'm running an 877W at home with my main VLAN as a BVI between the wireless and switch ports. Historically wireless clients on the native VLAN could connect between themselves (ie ping, windows shares) but in the course of playing around with configs to fix other issues this has now broken. Port protection is not configured and I can't figure out what's wrong. I can see the ARP packets leaving one client but get no response. I'm guessing that broadcasts are being blocked, but is this a wireless level thing or part of the bridge-group? Anyone have any ideas?

2 Replies 2

irisrios
Level 6
Level 6

Are there are multiple SSID configured. If so clients on diff SSIDs or VLANs can't receive broadcast. There is a feature called Public Secure Packet Forwarding(PSPF) on access points which blocks communication between clients. Check if this enabled. Refer URL http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1200/vxworks/release/notes/rn1108T1.html for more info.

There are multiple SSIDs configured, but the devices that can't communicate are on the same VLAN. I couldn't find any setting for PSPF, but the 800 series wireless guide refers to setting up access-lists which are definitely disabled.

As an example of the problem, I can't RDP to my main PC from my laptop at home (they're both working fine to the wireless router and out to the Internet) but I can if I VPN into the router. I'm thinking that wireless to wireless traffic should not go near the router interfaces but should stay on the AP card.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: