Views
Helpful
Replies

access point 1100 and hot spot

beatrice.houbat
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a customer who has a wlan network (AP 1100) with a standard config (no security) and is asking me how to use his laptop in airport and so on when he travells.

As i do not know how configured are the hot spots i need someone to help me to see what he has to configure in his laptop. I will be gratefull if you coul help me

Beatrice

3 Replies 3

tepatel
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

You need to talk to Airport people/guys to allow your customer to access the wireless network when he gets in the Airport. The wireless ethernet card in the laptop need to associate/connected (via wireless) to the Access Point maintained by Airport guys.

You can't use AP1100 for that.

Many thanks for your reply. Could you tell me if the configuration in airports are depending on the provider which means if he has to change a few times he could have to reconfigure his PCMCIA the same number of time ?

Regards

Béatrice

Beatrice,

Yes the configuration is dependant on the hotspot operator.

Often they use a broadcast SSID and no WEP then use back end services to limit access. If you use a profile with NO SSID configured and everything else defaulted then you may find that you will associate to the Hotspot. The better ones use a TCP redirect when you open a web browser to a login screen where you can sign up for service.

There sometimes is posters or pamphlets at the hot spot that will give you the details on how to set up your card

At the end of the day though your customer will have to open an account with the hotspot operator and they will give him the instructions on how to log on as they are all different

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card