Views
Helpful
Replies

access point coverage

suthomas1
Level 6
Level 6

Hi,

I have some questions for mesh wireless network.

1. In the wcs heat maps, usually the area over the access points show as green or blue as coverage. What is the reason if near one of the ap's this colour coverage doesnt appear, even though the ap is working fine.

should anything be done on the wcs to rectify this?

2. In the heat maps, each access point is connected to another with an arrow line based on its related as parent or child. Not all of them show as interconnected all the time ?

3. Will the heat maps show even the secondary available path in the arrow line format always?

4. If i want to test the mesh links for its redundancy , how should i go about it. Is it a feasible option or will the access points divert itself to another available ap in case its primary fails as it has the different neighbors with their signal ratings.

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

No arrows appear for redundant parents.

If the AP has neighbors in same bridge group then the best connection to your AP will be the new parent.

You can simply guarantee backup parents if the ap has neighbors.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Rating useful replies is more useful than saying "Thank you"

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Amjad Abdullah
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

I could not exaclty understand some of your questions but let me try replying in general:

Color indicates signal strength in the heatmap and there is a key on the MAP shows what is the signal strength represented by each color. Red and oragne indicate very high signal. Green indicates high signal. blue indicates good signal. When the blue goes darker it means the signal goes worse.

Those APs you can not see connected through an arrow to another AP they are either:

- RAP: they are a parent and can not connect to others but others connect to them. at that point no child APs connected to it.

- A MAP that could not find any close parent to connect to.

Parents may be changed if a MAP found another parent with better signal than the one it is currently connected to. If the current parent disappears or the connection with it becomes too bad and there is another AP with better signal the MAP will move to connect through that new parent.

HTH

Amjad

Thanks Amjad.

In my case, on one of the mesh access points in heat map, there  is no colour seen. what could be the reason. it has no problems with  connectivity.

So if the current parent disappears, it will try to  connect to new parent , but will it show arrow signal to secondary when  the primary is also reachable.

Last query, if i need to  test the mesh link redundancy, how should i test it in actual  conditions and prove the redundancy is working fine.

No arrows appear for redundant parents.

If the AP has neighbors in same bridge group then the best connection to your AP will be the new parent.

You can simply guarantee backup parents if the ap has neighbors.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Thanks Again. How do i test the mesh redundancy as a test scenario.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card