Views
Helpful
Replies

Access Points: 2602 vs. 2702?

airlinkauto
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We are working with an end user who wants to install a controler-based wireless infrastructure in their facility.  At present they plan to use Intermec CK71 mobile computers that support the 802.11 a/b/g/n standards but no "ac" .  In addition to the CK71s, our customer would like to use laptops, notebooks and IPad tablets as wireless clients.. 

The total number of RF devices is estimated to be around 80 which will be distributed throughout the facility and not clustered.  Our site survey (done with a 2602e AP) indicated 16 APs will be needed to achieve the desired coverage. As far as the load on the APs, it will be fairly light.  There will be some Internet browsing and some HTML based screens that will collect data for their WMS and ERP systems.  At present there is no discussion about including any wireless IP phones, doing video streaming, or moving CAD drawings, etc. over the  wireless network.

So here is the question:  Should we go with the 2702e AP over the 2602e?  We've installed many 2602s and have always had good success. So far however, we have not installed any 2700 series APs. 

While looking at the literature for both APs it appears the 2700s are more focused on the "ac" radio standard and are designed for use with higher densities of clients.  The 2600s look more geared to 2.4 Ghz b/g/n radios and will give us more range and might even save on client battery use.

So since this customer has not said anything about using "ac" radio clients, we are leaning more to sticking with the 2600s. We also mapped coverage using a 2602 as well. That said, we don't want to dead end the customer, especially since the ac radios will now start showing up in client devices.

Any advice or knowledge that can be shared on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

**This whip antenna is the one we use with the 2602e, will it also work with the 2702e?  P/N AIR-ANT2524DB-R  

3 Replies 3

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
While looking at the literature for both APs it appears the 2700s are more focused on the "ac" ra
dio standard and are designed for use with higher densities of clients.  

2600 can operate with just plain 15.4w PoE while 2700 requires 20.0w PoE (recommended).  Although you can operate the 2700 at 15.4w PoE 802.11ac will not be able to run at this power.  

Now if you look at the 2700, this is the first AP which comes with a dual data port (one PoE and one not).  Currently, WLC firmware does NOT support etherchannel of these two ports.  So if you need to do cabling work and you are going to deploy 2700, then you need to look into putting, at a minimum of, two data outlets per AP2700.  

Having two data ports, in some cases, is a lot cheaper than deploying Cisco's 3650/3850/Sup8E switches.  

If I had my way, I'd be deploying 2700 because you have no idea how long Cisco will support the old APs (like the 1260, 3500, 3600 and 2600).

Leo,

You stated this: "Although you can operate the 2700 at 15.4w PoE 802.11ac will not be able to run at this power."

Is this correct? I'm not getting the behavior that ac is disabled on my 2702i, I see VHT rates. As I'm testing and researching I see the data sheet states that you go from 3x4 to 3x3, but not that it disables ac. I will try to connect my 2702i to 802.3at power and see the differences.

Thanks

Hi TJ, 

When the 2700 operates at 15.4w, the MIMO rates drop from 4x4x3 to 3x3x3.   You are correct, 15.4w doesn't "disable" the 802.11ac data rates, but you won't be able to send data at 802.11ac speed.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card