Views
Helpful
Replies

access to the console port or the service port on a WLC8500

theophile
Level 1
Level 1

Helllo,

I tried to connect to the service port on a wlc model 8500 without success. I followed the wlc installation guide, putted an IP address/netmask on the port, connected the port to my laptop network card using a cross-over cable, and set up my card on the same network (192.168.1.0/24). With the laptop, I can successfully ping the service port IP adress. Using my telnet/ssh client (putty), I tried to connect to the port but it did not work. Using telnet, the connection's windows appears then closes immediately. Using ssh, the connection's windows appears then I get an error 'network communication refused'. I also tried to connect to the GUI web page with the service port IP address but it failed too.

Any thought?

I tried to connect to the console port using my console cable, testing all the keyboard emulation (vt100 etc...) and the right settings (9600,8,1,none,none) without success too. The session's window appears but remains blank. Like if there was no keyboard transport when I press keys on it.

I'm a bit lost

Thanks to all for your help

Theo

3 Replies 3

theophile
Level 1
Level 1

edit:

concerning the console port, the problem is fixed, the adapter I have is not compatible with the cisco console port (cabling inside the adapter is for enterasys brand).

If you are still having issues with service port, check whether service port IP & management IP are in completely different supernet (like 192.168.x.x in service port & 10.10.x.x in management port)

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Hello Rasika, thanks for your comment. Both interfaces are in different subnet (management 10.X.X.X and service 192.X.X.X). I tried also the service port on a 5500 controller and it's the same behaviour.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card