Views
Helpful
Replies

Ad-hoc mode vs Mesh

Queen245_goa
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can anyone explain to me the difference between ad-hoc and mesh.

I read in some places that mesh follows 802.11s which uses the mac80211 stack which is present in the 2.6 kernels.

when we are creating a mesh network, the VAP would be in the ad-hoc mode only right? why would we require 802.11s for a mesh network.

Cant I have a my card in ad-hoc mode and have a mesh network without having 802.11s?

please advice.

5 Replies 5

gamccall
Level 4
Level 4

"ad hoc" is a Latin phrase which has a broader meaning than just networking. In a networking context, ad hoc means generally that the network topology is created or modified spontaneously as nodes join or leave, rather than having a fixed topology.

Ad hoc wireless networking usually refers to client devices connecting directly to each other in any convenient topology, without using an access point. The same idea applies on a larger scale, if you have multiple wireless bridges connecting to each other in any convenient topology without having a specified root bridge. However, that doesn't mean that your notebook can join a mesh of bridges! Client-to-client ad hoc networking is a completely separate phenomenon from bridge-to-bridge ad hoc networking.

And, outside of academic discussions, you will very rarely hear meshed bridge solutions described as "ad hoc", specifically because of that sort of confusion. If you use ad-hoc to describe self-organizing client-to-client networks, and mesh to describe self-organizing bridge-to-bridge networks, you'll avoid a lot of potential miscommunication.

Thanks for your explaination.

So will that mean... adhoc means client-to-client(peer to peer) and mesh means bridge-to-bridge?

I read about people having done a mesh using adhoc.Would that be possible?

Thanks for your explaination.

So will that mean... adhoc means client-to-client(peer to peer) and mesh means bridge-to-bridge?

I read about people having done a mesh using adhoc.Would that be possible?

"adhoc means client-to-client(peer to peer) and mesh means bridge-to-bridge"

That is the standard usage.

"I read about people having done a mesh using adhoc"

This is semantically correct according to the general meaning of the Latin phrase, because mesh networks are self-organizing rather than planned around a fixed root, but this usage creates confusion and should be avoided in the interests of clear communication.

You cannot join a standard client to a mesh of bridges. You cannot join a mesh AP to a peer-to-peer wireless network.

Thanks alot. you've cleared quite a bit of cloud frommy mind with your explanation...

just a another clarification: (Hope Iam not buggin you too much)

Can I say like this:

802.11s is standard for mesh - which i think means.. every member can reach every other member by means of bridge..and multiple bridges can join together.

Say,i think if u draw a diag of mesh network with 4 nodes (a,b,c,d) .. it will be like every node will be directly connected to every other node..

And Adhoc would mean peer to peer.. using peer to peer, several nodes will be connected and can reach other nodes by means of their peer connectivity.. in effect it achieves(is confused) the english meaning of mesh because many nodes can communication with each other

Say In an adhoc node.. it can be like b is connected to a and c.. and c is connected to d (d is not directly connected to b).In effect everybody can reach the others thru a hop or multiple hops.

ADOV n other routings avalible will be needed in adhoc to find the least hops needed to reach the destination and also to be able to know what nodes are available thru which peer...so that traffic can be accordingly routed.

Please confirm this... It would really help.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card