Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Adding 802.11a Radio with 802.11g

I currently have a wireless network setup with 2 1230AG access points. I have started to recieve complaints about speed issues. I have done a little research and cannot determine if it is better for me to add more access points or get antenna's for, and turn on the 802.11a radio on my exisiting access points. any suggestions? I also have 2 follow questions. If I add 802.11a radio's and set it up with the same setup (SSID and Key) as the 802.11g radio's, will everyone who has a/b/g card wireles cards connect to the A or do wireless cards know to connect to the best quality (speed/signal) network? on the other hand, if I add more access points and set them up with the same setup (SSID adn Key) is there a possibility that a majority of the users will connect to the same access point? what i am trying to get at is do wireless network cards have the ability to chose the best access point if they are in range of 2 that are configured identically?

any help or if anyone has a good article about this it would be appreciated.

1 Reply 1

gmarogi
Level 5
Level 5

If you add 802.11a network and setup same SSID information etc as 802.11g, then wireless clients with 802.11a/g would go for the radio which provides better signal strength. Again, this implementation is vendor dependant though meaning it might vary as per the client.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: