cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

After Upgrade to 7.6.100.0 User Can't Connect To Wireless

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

We have an internal 5508 controller that has two SSID's on it.  A secure SSID which uses an ACS server to authenticate users through AD, and a guest SSID which tunnels out to a DMZ 5508 anchor controller.  The guest users have no issues at all.  We upgraded our controllers to 7.6.100.0 about 3 weeks ago.  Since then, we've had an issue with the data path, for the anchor controller was down, and would only come up after reboot of the internal controller.  That was the 1st issue.  Over the past few days, I've had users from all over the country tell me that they cannot get connected to our secure network.  All users have Win7 machines.  All they see is the yell yield sign, on their wireless connection.  In the Network and Sharing center, they see the wireless network listed as an unidentified network (public network).  In the ACS, the users are authenticating with no problem (I can see it in the ACS logs), and they do receive an IP address.  However, they have absolutely no connectivity.  I have them try to ping the default gateway, of the subnet that they're assigned, and it comes back with request timed out.  Of course they can't get to the internet, or do anything, since they have no connectivity back to their gateway.  I've restarted the internal controller (thinking that there must be a hang like with the data path anchor issue) which didn't work, I've blown away the SSID, and recreated it.  That didn't work.  I even restarted the ACS, although that wasn't an issue.  It seems like any users that were connected, prior to the issue, and have no shut down their pc, are ok.  Users that have shut down, or have removed the secure wireless network profile, from their computer, can no longer connect.  They just get that the network is unidentified.  I'm not sure if there was any sort of Win7 update, or some other push, but I want to make sure that from the WLC perspective, there's no issue.  Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So there is an open issue with v7.6 and 3600's and 3700's.  Users are in the RUN state, but they loose layer 2 connectivity.  Ther will soon be a patch released to the public for the issues with the 3700's, this affects clients that are on the 5ghz only.  The issue with the 3600 seems to be with 5ghz and with 2.4ghz but with non 802.11n clients.  This is from what I have been testing and what Cisco has been able to replicate.  If you don't need to be on v7.6, unless you have the 3700's, I suggest you downgrade to v7.4.121.0 or v7.5 if you need support for the 3600 802.11ac module.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Hi Dan,

You pay the price going for latest (does not mean greatest).

Based on my experience, never jump into first release of a software code, unless you require those new features. Wait for a maintenance release to come & then go for it.

Here are few critcal bugs of 7.6.100.0 which does not have a fix yet

CSCum62305 : traffic stops for Mac OS, IOS devices. Other devices working fine

CSCum49200 : Mac wireless clients in RUN state sometimes unable to ping gateway

CSCuj17283 : WiFi clients dropping ARP  replies on TID 3 w/ ap3700

I would suggest you to open a TAC case & work with them if you want to stay with this code (specially if you want to get 802.11ac ). Otherwise downgrade to 7.4.121.0 would be the option.

HTH

Rasika

**** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

So there is an open issue with v7.6 and 3600's and 3700's.  Users are in the RUN state, but they loose layer 2 connectivity.  Ther will soon be a patch released to the public for the issues with the 3700's, this affects clients that are on the 5ghz only.  The issue with the 3600 seems to be with 5ghz and with 2.4ghz but with non 802.11n clients.  This is from what I have been testing and what Cisco has been able to replicate.  If you don't need to be on v7.6, unless you have the 3700's, I suggest you downgrade to v7.4.121.0 or v7.5 if you need support for the 3600 802.11ac module.

Thanks,

Scott

*****Help out other by using the rating system and marking answered questions as "Answered"*****

-Scott

George Stefanick
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Dan,

Specific to the lost of connectivity. Scott and I had similar issues. I understand the bug(s) are specific to ap models and a few other items. But what you describe where you authenticate, have an ip address but cant pass traffic is what we hit as well.

Open a TAC case and request the code fix.

__________________________________________________________________________________________
"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin
__________________________________________________________________________________________
‎"I'm in a serious relationship with my Wi-Fi. You could say we have a connection."

"Satisfaction does not come from knowing the solution, it comes from knowing why." - Rosalind Franklin

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

Gentlemen,

Thank you for your responses.  I've ordered 290 3700's, which is why I went to the 7.6.100.0 code.  Is there currently a fix, that Cisco can provide?  Fortunately, I still haven't received my order, so I can downgrade to 7.5.102.0 until I receive the AP's, or until the fix does come out.  Again, I really appreciate your help!

Yes contact TAC

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

What AP's do you have now?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott,

We run everything from 1131's, to 1242's, 3500, 3600's, and I have a 3700 (to test AC).  The company has a HUGE push to move to AC, so they want to start testing the 3700's. 

Well the layer 2 issue was seen on the 3600's and the 3700's, so are you seeing this on the 1131's, 1242's and or the 3500's?

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Scott,

It is primarily on the 3600's from spot checking the users having the issues.  Definitely falls in line with the bug that you've mentioned

Good to know... the TAC release is specific for the 3700's though.  What I have seen is non 802.11n devices seem to be affected with the 3600's and a few 802.11n on the 5ghz only.  No fix for that yet, but I would give TAC a call and see if they can give you the TAC release code, might help with some of your issues.  You will eventually need v7.6 so it depends on how many people are complaining, as downgrading might be a better choice and then when you start implementing the 3702's you can use the TAC version if a new release hasn't made it out.

Thanks,

Scott

-Scott

Is there currently a fix, that Cisco can provide?

Contact Cisco TAC.  Point them to this thread.  In most of the cases, they can furnish you with an Engineering build software to get you past your issue. 

Be aware that the Engineering build is a stop-gap or an interim software.  Once the main release is out, it is expecting you will have to use that.

Dan Man
Level 1
Level 1

We did downgrade due to the issue.  We have an open TAC case, so hopefully the fix will come out soon.  I do want to thank everyone for their responses, and help.  This is truly a wonderful site!!! 

Bruno Siqueira
Level 1
Level 1

I have this issue when using Apple Macbook Pro in my network.

I have seen in this forum this problem occurs only with 3600 APs, but i`m having this same problem using 2602 APs.

can someone tell me if this is the same problem and if i can solve this disabling the WMM?

Rgs

Hi Bruno,

You can upgrade to 7.6MR1 pre-release & see if that fix your issue. You can get it via TAC following this below link

https://supportforums.cisco.com/docs/DOC-40402

Disabling WMM is not ideal as it will disable 802.11n data rates for your clients

HTH

Rasika

*** Pls rate all useful responses ****

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card