Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CT2504-HA-K9 N+1 redundancy config

glebpe185
Level 1
Level 1

Hi Experts,

After I read some documentation it is still not 100% clear for me what are the procedure to configure additional WLC controller we bought (

AIR-CT2504-HA-K9). What we need to achieve is just the basic N+1 redundancy. We have our existing WLC 2504 and 15 LAPs 1262.

Please advise if these steps are correct:

1. Backup existing config from primary WLC.

2. Upgrade backup WLC to the same OS version

3. Upload config to the backup WLC

4. Change all IPs - it should be different but on the same subnet as the primary one.

5. On the primary controller change AP redundancy settings -  add IP of the backup controller.

6. Plug backup controller to the network and test failover by disconnecting the primary one from the network - after 2 minutes all APs should reconnect to the backup one.

7. If all good disconnect backup one from the network and all APs should fall back to the primary one.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Gleb.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Theses steps are fine, but you also need to not just change the IP address but the hostnames. Here is a guide for N+1 which walks you the configuration steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Scott Fella
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Theses steps are fine, but you also need to not just change the IP address but the hostnames. Here is a guide for N+1 which walks you the configuration steps.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/technology/hi_avail/N1_High_Availability_Deployment_Guide.pdf

-Scott

Thanks for this Scott,

additionally do I always need to update the config on the backup manually as long as there are some changes on the primary one?

not sure what this means as well, do I need to go through this step (figure 2.8):

An HA-SKU secondary controller can also be used as a primary, secondary, or tertiary controller. This

can be configured under the AP specific configuration.

Thanks in advance.

The N+1 solution doesn't do any sort if sync like AP SSO which is available on the 5508's and higher end models. N+1 is basically like another WLC with license. You have to make changes to both. With Prime infrastructure, you can manage multiple wlc's, but if it's just two wlc's, it might not be something you really need.

-Scott

Hi,

if I understood it well: 

Can I install a ct2504ha without buying licenses for it? 

Does this inherit the licenses of the main ct2504?

Thanks in advanced

Hi,

Can I install a ct2504ha without buying licenses for it?  Secondry WLC doent need any AP license. You just need to enable it by using the command on 2nd WLC "

config redundancy unit secondary

Does this inherit the licenses of the main ct2504? NO it will not. But still it will support max 75 APs (max for 90 days)

Here is the imlementation guide:  https://rscciew.wordpress.com/2014/06/07/n1-high-availability-configuration-on-cisco-2504wlc/

Regards

Dont forget to rate helpful posts

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card