Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

AIR-CT5508 connected to VSS MEC

Hello,

I need to connect a WLC AIR-CT5508 with a Catalyst 6500 VSS.

In the WLC Configuration guide, talking about LAG, Cisco says:

"When configuring bundled ports on the controller, you may want to consider terminating on two different modules within a modular switch such as the Catalyst 6500; however, Cisco does not recommend connecting the LAG ports of a 5500 or 4400 series controller to multiple Catalyst 6500 or 3750G switches."

¿Does this statement apply with a VSS?

¿Has anyone ever connected a WLC AIR-CT5508 with LAG to a MEC configured in a VSS? ¿May I do it?

Thank you very much for your help.

Best regards,

Jorge

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jorge,

this does not apply to VSS.

The whole point is "if you are doing LAG, you want to terminate the link on something that can reassemble the packets". I.e. a switch with several modules can do a port-channel with ports from different modules.

The same way, a VSS allows to build a port-channel just as if you only had one switch (as far as I know). So that is ok.

It's just wrong to connect the WLC to 2 different switches that can't build a portchannel together.

Hope it clarifies :-)

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Nicolas Darchis
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hi Jorge,

this does not apply to VSS.

The whole point is "if you are doing LAG, you want to terminate the link on something that can reassemble the packets". I.e. a switch with several modules can do a port-channel with ports from different modules.

The same way, a VSS allows to build a port-channel just as if you only had one switch (as far as I know). So that is ok.

It's just wrong to connect the WLC to 2 different switches that can't build a portchannel together.

Hope it clarifies :-)

Nicolas

===

Don't forget to rate answers that you find useful

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card